Is it just me who doesn't care about or want cell chip in AW2?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Gentsuperman, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Gentsuperman, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016

Gentsuperman macrumors newbie

Gentsuperman

Thought I'd ask. I don't really care or want it because it would mean a different # and or another charge/data ontop of phone.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Latest rumors suggest GPS but not cellular connectivity in the AW2.

3. Gentsuperman thread starter macrumors newbie

Gentsuperman

Yeah and I am completely ok with that just don't get why others complaining it hasn't got cell chip to be fully independent.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Those naysayers tend to be non-AW owners and so they don't know what they're talking about or have a realistic expectation of what the AW entails.

5. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68020

I don't want cell at all. Independent wi-fi is another planned addition which would be nice.

6. DadBod630 Suspended

Yes it is just you. Congratulations on ascending to a higher level of human reasoning than the rest of us mere rubes.

7. Gentsuperman thread starter macrumors newbie

Gentsuperman

Perhaps don't act like a sarcastic child #justsaying. I have seen a lot moaning and on news app. I was just giving my opinion and asking others. The grown ups replied...

8. Dormammu macrumors 65816

Dormammu

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    I'm going to have to agree on this point.
    I have no desire for a cellular chip in my Apple Watch.

9. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

I don't care about cellular or GPS in the watch. There really isn't any time when I feel like I don't want to carry my iPhone when I leave the house. I've always got s bag or s pocket that can easily hold my iPhone 6.

10. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I don't care about cellular connectivity in the next Apple Watch, but I don't plan on buying one until it has GPS.

11. username: macrumors 6502a

GPS Is for the runners and exercises. Not so useful for anyone else I guess. Cellular would be useful for some, that's why they will likely have two models in the future like the iPad, one cellular and one wifi only. So don't worry about it

12. DadBod630 Suspended

Why is it that on this site, every discussion thread must be prefaced with "am I the only one who thinks ____________"? You're pretending to ask a question in order to express opinions that literally do not matter and that nobody cares about. It's obnoxious.

13. Gentsuperman thread starter macrumors newbie

Gentsuperman

Think a few care if I'm not mistaken lol. Shhh the grown ups are talking.

This is a forum where one posts a question or thought and others reply to that.

14. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

Just runners.
    Bodybuilders/gym goers don't need gps.
    Id love a cell connectivity as i can leave my phone at home or my locker and stream music apps to my earbuds. I could care less about gps since i don't run outside. Cell connectivity is bigger to more people imo.

15. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

While it's not a deal breaker for me in any way not to have it, I can certainly see the appeal in the long term. I love that Apple Pay has already freed me up to leave my wallet behind for many errands. I would love to be able to leave my phone home as well at some point.

Detractors of the AW usually say they see no point to the watch when it can't do anything the phone can't do better. They miss the entire point. It's only since I've had my AW that I've realized that it's actually a bit of a hassle keeping my phone on me all the time. The AW is really freeing in that sense. Cellular capability will only increase this level of freedom.

16. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Independent wifi? Huh? You don't like how the watch mirrors all of the known networks from your iPhone, so you're not trying to type all of that in on that tiny little screen? :)
    The watch has its own wifi stack - it just makes sense to do all of the editing of information on the phone - where you have a full keyboard to enter it with.
    If you haven't been able to get it to join your network, you need to have an available 802.11b/g/n network at 2.4GHz for the watch to connect to. The watch doesn't have a 5GHz radio and it doesn't support 802.11AC.

17. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I'm not sure I would want it because it's (relatively) difficult to send out messages, get directions, or otherwise use dictation discreetly via the Watch itself.

I don't see much point in adding GPS without including cellular data, either. I've got a GPS-only fitness watch, and it's only good for recording workout routes and nothing else. The AW, as a platform, is capable of so much more.

It also comes down to current battery technology. Batteries today aren't going to have enough spunk to drive a cellular-GPS AW for more than a few hours.

18. Gentsuperman thread starter macrumors newbie

Gentsuperman

I wouldn't mind seeing now scribble is nearly here that we can tie AW into any network with IPhone having been linked.

19. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

My only problem with Apple Watch is how slow Maps take to do anything. Even display my location, takes forever for the map data to download. So a cellular connection probably would help with that.

20. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

The :apple:Watch already has WiFi and BT which could download the entire world atlas in a couple of seconds. The bottleneck is the S1 chip and/or the software/processing. Adding cell service would not increase the speed.

21. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

Are you 100% sure the S1 can't cope with some vector base map?

22. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Did not imply that in any way and is unrelated to my post. My post stands as I stated.

23. username: macrumors 6502a

People who exercise outside or in the pool etc* like bikers, swimmers, rowers, walkers...

GPS can also give turn-by-turn directions provided the map is already on the phone.

24. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

Yes true. People doing anything outside. But really a cell capability is better without a phone. especially if there is an emergency and you need to call someone.

25. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

I've been a cyclist for 35 years and it has never been an issue to carry a smartphone. Even in my spandex clad racing days when I had only a tiny bag under the saddle I still had pockets on the back of my jersey big enough for a modern smartphone, wallet, snacks, etc. These days I'm more likley to put those items in a handlebar bag, and many racers are more likely to mount the smartphone on their handlebars or stem. If I'm out for a walk or a bike ride I have plenty of options for carrying an iPhone. I just hate needing to get it out unnecessarily. If I get a text or a phone call while I'm out for a bike or a hike, I can glance at my wrist to see if it's an emergency or if it can wait until I'm done.

It seems like mostly runners who hate carrying a smartphone, so they would benefit from GPS on the watch.