Is it legal to install Yosemite on unsupported macs?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by knucles_17, Aug 6, 2015.

1. knucles_17 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Quick question

Here in the office we have a 2006 imac and a couple of new retina macbooks.

We lost the official install DVD that came with the imac and we would like to install Yosemite on them (2gb, 2.16 core 2duo might run fine)

Is this legal? Can we prepare a usb stick with our official download of yosemite and install on the imac?

Many thanks

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yeah it's legal, though if memory serves Yosemite won't install on anything earlier than a 2007 iMac.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

4. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

You Mac Model does not officially support OS X Yosemite as stated by @Weaselboy. You can however, use my thread to try to patch and install it but I must warn you beforehand of lack of adequate graphical acceleration.

5. knucles_17 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know is not supported. I assumed that in the title. But there are some ways to get around that.

My concern is legal. It seems to be so i thank you

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ah... I overlooked that bit in your title.

Arguably, installing on an unsupported machine by hacking the installer may violate section L. of the EULA. That said, I don't think the Apple police are exactly out patrolling the workplace looking for this. :)

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/OSX1010.pdf

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

As long as you are doing it for your own machines, Apple is not going to bother you. If you started doing it for money....

8. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Is the purpose to get the iMac to the latest OS or concern about not having an install disk for problem recovery?
    If the concern is recovery from problems then you have some other alternatives;
    You did not indicate what OS you currently have on the 2006 iMac, so I'll assume 10.4. Your iMac shipped with 10.4 and will support up to 10.7.5.

Apple still sells the 10.6 install DVD for $19.99. I would check with Apple before ordering to see if the DVD would have all the drivers needed for your 2006 iMac. Apple still sells 10.7 ($19.99), but they deliver it via internet and it requires 10.6.8 for installation.
    10.6:
    http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard
    Here is a link to Apple's pdf instructions on installing Snow Leopard:
    https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1172/en_US/Snow_Leopard_Installation_Instructions.pdf
    10.7:
    http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

You could also have a back up plan for your iMac by attaching an external hard drive and using some back up or cloning software.

9. Wolwerine macrumors regular

Wolwerine

if you got a mac, don't worry you can have it, legally allowed,, after all is apple, the only thing you should now is that without full graphics acceleration ( it means, one acceptable graphics card ), your mac will run, but you will have some issues and glichs,
    I've done it with my old Macbook white 13" 4.1 2007

10. Wolwerine macrumors regular

Wolwerine

as some other people had said, speaking of Law, is well against the "rules", but, if you do it for you i don't think apple will run after you,,and honestly, he run's quit well, at least for me, MacBook4.1 but,,,, as we now Apps like photoshop, Imovie, Pro Logic,,etc, etc,,, will never work,,