Is it legal to remove DRM from MY music?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by TheSpaz, Feb 24, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It is illegal, because you are in the US, and are circumventing the DMCA, however in European countries it'd be legal.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You don't actually own the songs; you simply own a license to play them in accordance with the EULA. You're basically renting them in your name.

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

What about when I buy a CD at the store? I can rip it to my computer. What's different about burning the iTunes store songs on a CD and ripping them to my computer... does that mean suddenly I own them and Apple even lets you do this without problems.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You do own music from the iTS, but you can't convert them without removing the DRM, which breaks the DMCA.

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Technically, if you remove the DRM and keep it where it was licensed isn't that okay? I'd think the minute you transfer to another user then that'd be the point the law is broken.

7. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

might better be asked, "is it legal to put drm on in the first place?" if I distribute the music to others, it is illegal regardless, but restricting my personal use is a joke.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's not quite so clear. While the DMCA prohibits circumvention, it also does not alter fair use doctrine. So it is really not entirely certain whether, say, ripping a copy-protected CD for your own use is a clear violation of the DMCA. This area of the law is really quite murky.

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Kind of why I've been getting mine from Amazon. Not as nice an interface but music is DRM free and will play on nearly anything.

10. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

11. Youngbrammer macrumors newbie

Amazon

Yes, Amazon is cheaper and DRM free. Which is nice for putting Viva La Vida on my cell. I got the entire album. P.S. It Rocks!!!:cool:

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

They would get my cheers is they ever had what I was looking for. I go there and search and I get nothing. I go to iTunes and 99% of the time, I find what I'm looking for. In reality, I could care less if iTunes has DRM. I can still burn copies, put them on my iPhones and iPods and all my computers. ALL DRM does is stop me from sharing them with someone else, nothing wrong with that.