Is it legal to sell an iphone on ebay with the include purchased apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applesupergeek, Apr 17, 2010.

1. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

Is it legal to sell an iphone on ebay with the include purchased apps? I have been reading the fine print in apple's agreement and I am uncertain about this... Has anyone tried it? It would seem it's ok since you can sell a mac with the purchased software (parallels, pages, etc.) to sweeten the deal.

If anyone has tried it I would love to hear for them, as well as how they 've sorted out the logistics to do with the store account. Thanks.:apple:

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Only if you are transferring the licenses (this is true of a Mac as well). To do this with the iPhone the only way to do it would be to hand over your entire iTunes account. Note that if you don't do that the new owner will not be able to update the apps...

3. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey thanks so much for the reply, appreciate it, what does tranferring the licences mean, eg. on a mac, I 've bought parallels say and I want to transfer the license (which is under my name) to someone else, what do I do, contact the parallels people?

And in the case of the itunes store, if I tranfer the account, I just set a new password, and mail (belonging to the buyer) and delete my cc info. I am bit worried about privacy though, I would rather sell the phone with the apps and include a disclaimer that they cannot update the apps but they can still use them... Would that be ok?

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7D11 Safari/531.21.10)

They can't even sync without your account. They'll lose the apps.

5. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

can't they do a transfer purchases to their itunes, and then set up their own account?

6. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

nope

7. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Then I guess I will have to delete my cc info and pass them over my store account... I hope this is feasible.

8. wovel macrumors 68000

Should be as long as you did not buy anything else from the store besides apps that you want to keep.

9. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Yep - you know you'll need to pay for apps all over again right? You can also contact Apple to see what they say about the situation at hand.

10. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

You better check the iTunes license agreement. I seem to recall Apple doesn’t grant you a license to transfer iTunes content (like they usually do software), and everything in the store is non-transferable.

Whether or not eBay notices in your auction is another matter.

I believe someone tried to sell an iTunes song on eBay a few years ago and they yanked it down.

11. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I do realise I ll have to buy them again, but some of them I don't want in the first place.

I have read it very carefully, and I did come across something close to what you are saying, but, as you might expect, it's all legal speak, and I can't be confident that I understand it. I can make an informed guess, but that's where lawyers always get you, in informed guesses...

That's why I was hoping someone with similar experience could verify or negate this.

12. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

If I were buying it I wouldn't want to have to abandon my own iTunes account just to get your apps. You can only sync it with one account, so I would have to pick not having the stuff I already have or not having your bundled stuff.

It's a flawed sales tactic to include paid apps no matter how you look at it.

13. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

You reckon? I thought it would give an nice extra incentive to have a phone full of some great paid apps, but then again I don't know much about sales. I also thought you could merge itunes accounts, and transfer purchase from one to the other.

14. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Yes, I reckon! You cannot merge accounts. You can authorize accounts for sharing iTunes on computers (e.g. both my wife and my accounts can be used to playback on the AppleTV).

Your "incentive" only makes sense for someone who has no iTunes account purchases. There is no extra incentive if I have to lose my own apps. It's just replacing what I think I should have on my iPhone with what you think should be on it. For example, do you have Navigon with all the in-app purchases? If you do, I'll bet you don't have some of the other expensive iPhone apps I use.

Bottom line: Don't count on making money based on any apps you've bought.

15. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

It doesn't matter anyways because it won't sell for any more money regardless of what apps you say are installed on it.