Resolved Is it legal to unlock iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 4GLTE lover, Jul 3, 2013.

1. 4GLTE lover, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013

4GLTE lover macrumors member

I had an iPhone 4S which I bought in November of last year then the Wi-Fi option become greyed out. So I got a refurbished iPhone in June and was wondering if it would be legal to Un-Lock it...Also just one more question why do all the You-Tube videos even on my home Wi-Fi network (6mbps download and .52 up) play so blurry on my iPhone 4S?? If it matters I have IOS 6.1.2 and I'm using the You-Tube app from the Apple App Store and I am Jail-Broken.

2. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Technically, no. But the phone unlocking police aren't going to come break your door down or anything.

And 6mbps is pretty slow, so that might explain your blurry YouTube videos, especially if they're high quality ones.

3. 4GLTE lover thread starter macrumors member

I am aware that it's pretty slow but on my Windows Laptop they are 1080p and load surprisingly fast.

4. FlyUnlock.com macrumors member

FlyUnlock.com

Not legal in the US I think. Other countries can be fine :)

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you ask legal questions, you should always say what country you are in. In the USA, it seems that until a few months ago, unlocking was legal, and it is still legal for phones purchased before that time. And there is some action going on not to make unlocking it yourself legal, but to oblige the carrier to unlock it for you. Obviously if you buy a subsidised phone under a false name, stop paying for it and unlock it, that's illegal.

Many youtube videos just _are_ blurry, so you'd first have to check if there is a video that is blurry on your iPhone, but not elsewhere.

6. madsci954 macrumors 68030

If you do it through your carrier, it's legal. But if you do through one of those eBay like services, it's illegal. In the US at least.

And as others have said, the FBI won't be knocking on your door because you did an illegal unlock. It's like those copyright warnings before movies, it's illegal but people still do it.

7. Baggio macrumors 6502

100X greater chance you will get busted for downloading movies illegally than unlocking your phone.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Ur jail-broken and yet u ask questions.

I have a slow 2.4mbit DSL and my youtubes are fine, don't know what to tell ya.

U aware youtube contents are user-supplied and good quality not guaranteed right?

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Yes and no. It is illegal to unlock a phone that is under a carrier contract, excluding a brief period that was pre the change.

But once off contract you are fine. Then again the carriers will do it for you so you can avoid the warranty voiding etc.

10. 4GLTE lover thread starter macrumors member

I am asking because I read it is legal for phones that have been purchased before January. So since my first iPhone 4S was, I wasn't sure if the refurbished one I received would be legal to unlock or not...:rolleyes:

11. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Just factory unlock it. First, the government has better things to do then busy people for unlocking their phones. Second, when you factory unlock there is no way anyone can tell the difference between you getting factory unlock at eBay and you getting it unlocked through carrier because truth is, the factory unlockers on eBay work for atnt and they just input your number into the whitelist when they got extra time.

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I see... I thought you had bought a new refurbished phone, but it seems you got a refurbished phone as a replacement for a broken one? It would seem reasonable that you should have the same rights with a refurbished phone as with a repaired phone. You shouldn't lose the right to unlock just because your phone was broken. Or if your phone was stolen and replaced with a brand new one, you shouldn't lose any rights because of that. On the other hand, just because it's reasonable doesn't mean it's legal :mad: Only a lawyer could tell you, and even then there's a chance that if you ask a few lawyers, you would could different answers.

13. xdxdaustin macrumors regular

Just to clarify, if you are under contract and your carrier agrees to unlock it, that is not illegal. I know Verizon will unlock any phone provided your account is in good standing for certain number of months and you haven't unlocked a phone in (I believe but am not positive) for 9 months

14. alastairhall macrumors newbie

Is it legal to unlock iPhone 4S?

I think this law only applies to phones purchased on or after January 26th 2013 and some consumers can still unlock their smartphone provided they have permission to do so from their carrier - in which instance an unlock code will be issued.

15. 4GLTE lover thread starter macrumors member

So would that mean it is legal for me to do so?? In my situation above, because technically I didn't "Purchase" it...