Is it me or apple customer service?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by koban4max, Aug 18, 2012.

1. koban4max macrumors 68000

Hey guys. I've been having an overheating issue with the phone, but maybe it was me that did something wrong. I can feel the heat when charging, while using it during hot weather, and etc. I know something like this tend to heat up naturally. However, there is gotta be a point when it's not normal.

Whenever I use apps like infogram for 15-20mins, it tends to get hot. I went to the apple store today and this GENIUS told me i need to reproduce the heating if i want to exchange it...but I can't. It randomly happens..or so I thought...

Help...

My question is: what can I do to replace it? or is it just me?

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

The phone can get warm/hot during certain situation. The phone will turn off it gets to hot. Its not a default so a new phone really isn't warranted.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

How can Apple be expected to replace it when you can't demonstrate it is having a problem?

Devices do get warm under certain usage and conditions
    Some people notice more than others

4. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. I wasn't sure what to do. I guess my phone is okay since certain situation tends to cause heating. The point was: I wasn't sure when to take it in.

----------

Yeah. I know I should be able to reproduce it..but..I was just worried. Especially when I don't have the time to come in to have it checked.

5. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

does it just get warm, or does the screen get dim with a warning telling you the phone is overheating?

If your getting the message, taking a picture of it will help collaborate your story, not guaranteed to work, but at least you can show them some type of proof.

if its just getting really warm to touch, that's normal depending on what your doing, the temperature you're using the phone in, and the signal you get. If its hot outside, your phone will get hot quickly. If you're in a low cell signal area, your phone will get hot as it ramps up the cell radio to get service. If your run a lot of CPU extensive apps (such as games) you phone will get hot.

if you still feel the temp. your getting isn't normal, try doing a restore/clean install. Then reinstall your apps one at a time, once a day. It could be you have a bad app or a software problem. This way the clean install will take care if any software problems and if you have a bad app., using it for a day should give you enough time to see if the app you installed is the one giving you that problem.

as for your phone getting hot while charging. Make sure the dock connector on your iphone and the USB plug are clean. If the contacts between the two are dirty it can cause heating problems.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The phone will cut off and give an overheated warning if it overheats. If it's not cutting off then it''s not overheating.

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

I agree with everyone else here that these phones intermittently do get hot. I use an Android smartphone and even with the stock apps I run, somethimes it just gets very warm. They will get hot if they are in enclosed case regardless of the material and if the ambient temp is warm - hot.

I live in Florida where it does get hot. Sometimes when i'm charging my phone in my car the battery will get hot enough where i'll get a warning message saying charging has been disabled do to the temperature of the battery.

One thing you can do is see how many apps are running in the background which you are not using and force close them. :)

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I guess the question is whether it is getting uncomfortably warm or not. Most electronics will get warm either during heavy use or during extended usage hours. If it's to the point of discomfort/burning, that is a problem.

9. chokem macrumors 6502

I live in the south, and work in an un-air conditioned shop. This summer my screen did dim a few times, I'm assuming it was getting hot, but it never shut itself off or give me an over heating warning.

10. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

sounds fair enough. I'll just still with it...and if it gets worst regardless of temp outside... and if what you say occurs...yes, i'll take it in again. Thanks.

----------

Is it suppose to get hot after playing infinity blade 2 for 20 mins straight?

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Normal.

As stated above you'll get an overheating warning screen.

All processors (not just smartphones) heat up under heavy loads. Yes.

Mine gets warm after I've tethered for a while. You don't get something for nothing. Heat's a byproduct of heavy processor use, charging, etc.

12. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I've found that apps (like Waze) gets the phone murder hot when out and about and it's trying hard to keep a signal going... I mean so hot you can't barely hold on to the thing.

13. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for giving me pointers..
    I guess i have nothing to worry about.

----------

ic ic. depends on apps then.

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'd only be concerned about it if the battery life is short, meaning something is running the phone hard. If so, not using that app stop the symptoms.

15. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Iphone runs hot when using certain apps or using an app and listening to music for an extended period of time. This is normal. If the iPhone reaches a certain temp it will shut off automatically.