Is it me, or does it seem people are not enjoying there 17"s

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajohnson253, Mar 11, 2009.

1. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

As much as everyone were thinking they were going to?
    I seem to see more negative then positive about this setup.

2. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

That's the nature of a forum. People tend to post when they have issues or problems, not when they're satisfied.

3. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

I'm happier with the Unibody 17" than I've been with any previous computer.
    Exceeds my expectations. So far it's been entirely problem-free.
    Wonderful screen, great fit and finish, smooth sailing all round. Fingers crossed it stays this way.

4. johndoe588 macrumors regular

Ah, that explains it all! :D

5. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

What was that< new product ? stores down! , anything else? :)

or, just posted in the wrong thread?

6. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I absolutely love my 17" MBP, I have never used a computer so well built, with such a gorgeous hi-res display, great keyboard and trackpad. I have absolutely no issues with it. Perfection as far as design and build quality go.

7. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

This is the best computer I have ever owned. No flaws, runs perfect. I love it.

8. EJ123 macrumors newbie

Kronie,
    Do you go around with it? Maybe home to office and back, occasional trip on
    a plane, or something like this. I can't make up my mind if it would feel too
    "big and bulky" after a while, compared to the 15".

Thanks

Eric

9. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

My laptop usually stays home but a 17" MBP is the smallest 17" anywhere on the planet. Obviously the footprint is just as large as any other 17" laptop. My wife had a Dr. appointment this morning. I went with her. I am in the waiting room now........waiting.....

My previous laptop was a dell 17" Studio. Similar specs to this, but was like three pounds heavier, an inch thicker. A monster compared to this thing.

If you fly a lot or haul your laptop all over creation a 15" may be better. I like the 17" for the screen.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I go around with mine almost every day.

It's about 1 pound more than the 15", which if you are in shape, is nothing.
    I use my 17" mbp as a 17" iPod, mobile communicator, etc. =)

Having a good bag definitely helps.

11. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I had a 15" Unibody prior to the 17" and there isn't a massive amount of difference in terms of bulk between the two. It even fits into the backpack I have which is designed for a 15" laptop! I was able to use mine on an Easyjet flight from London, although I did have the seats by the over-wing emergency exits which gave me just enough room to open it up on my lap to use. But honestly, the difference between the 15" and 17" isn't as huge as it sounds, and for me the screen resolution makes it worth it.

12. bereda macrumors member

17 is just to big for a note book hell 15 is even big 13 is almost perfect but the 11.1 inch sony vaio tz now that was a perfect notebook... the air is nice and all but i mean if your trying to make it portable and light cough cough netbook the key thing is to shrink the size. the air still had a 13 inch screen which still is rather large plus you lost out on a super drive and for the cost of the darn thing it would have been much mor practical to get the 13 macbook instead of the air its only like a pound heavier....but now with the recent news that they are now making a net book we will all watch the air (with all pun intended) evaporate into thin air once their net book comes out but also you run into the problem that net books are cheap and every mac ive bought besides the mini has been alot more than these net books made by asus and msi (which produces every mac product)

but 17 inches thats like carring around your imac around sometimes bigger isnt always better i see people with 17's all the time and they are just to big bulky and awkward they are so huge that they dont fit on a school desk or there so big they take up all the room no matter where you set them down plus carrying them around in a case that adds another 3 inches and going through a cramped subway with this big 20inch bag that your trying to baby and protect is just like impossible...

only time i see a 17 necessary is if your replacing a desktop

sorry thats just my thoughts

13. Zurbaran1 macrumors newbie

Ditto. This is my first Mac and I could not be happier. It is a fantastic machine.

14. genmic macrumors regular

+1

I mean a 17" would be nice to have at home, but I have only seen 1 or 2 around campus. And those people always look ridiculous as they bump everyone's shoulder trying to pull out this huge computer just to take notes. I am extremely jealous of the resolution though!

15. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I love my 17" also. I carry it almost everywhere with me too. I commute to school and I take the 17" rather then the 13" because of the battery life. Its not that much heavier at all, infact, it feels real nice on my back when I'm on my motorcycle.

16. iaymnu macrumors 6502

I love my matte 17".. love it love it love it :D.

..this is after going through 2 machines, but don't let that stop you from loving/buying a 17" :p

BUT!!
    I also take it everywhere with me. 1lb difference is not a big issue at all.

17. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I picked mine up this morning in store and could not be happier, screen is bright enough for what I need. Love it selling my 15" and keeping the 17". I always regretted selling my 17" MBP/PB and downsizing.

18. marcelg macrumors newbie

17" - had it for a couple of weeks now and though I am not quite sure how to best diagnose the graphics card, I have no complaints about the machine at all.

I took it on a bus ride the other day and really enjoyed the long battery life, especially when the wireless and bluetooth are both off. It was a bit large for the space that was available for it on my lap, though.

I had the 15" unibody at first but returned it for the 17" and do not regret it. However, I absolutely despise the fact that Apple is not offering the 15" with a higher resolution, as I would have happily settled for the 15" laptop.

Side note: I have no respect whatsoever for Apple's disregard for our requests for a higher resolution 15" as well as their obvious attempt to ignore the problems people seem to have with their graphics card (for a while now). No respect!

19. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

But even since the good ol 17" powerbook g4 days, I've never seen so much negative posts about the 17" since the unibody one.

Before you hardly ever seen any posts of the 17" and its virtually no comments since I'm guessing it had no problems in the past. And generally a few here or there about how great it is but now its all about these issues, especially the fan issue and the distortion on the gpu.

I have a strong feeling that there was a very good reason why it was delayed another 2-3 weeks before Apple shipped it out.

To all of you, I'd wait a good couple more months to iron any issues with the 17" before I'd buy one. And I already know if I plunge for the 17" unibody and 3 weeks later the inquirer will come out with a new article saying, "The 17" unibody mbp's 9600m gt card is also defective!"

20. bossxii macrumors 68000

Over the past 8 months I have own'd the White MB, the Rev B MBA, 15" UMBP 15" and now for the past week the 17" UMBP.

The White MB was a great machine but after seeing a MBA I was convinced the screen was better and the limitations it has wouldn't be an issue. I was wrong, just wasn't for me. I purchased the 15" UMBP in December and decided I loved the machine but wished it had better resolution and knowing the 17" UMBP was coming out soon figured I'd upgrade when it came out. I did and it was the best choice I ever made.

I love the MBP because it is like taking my desktop with me and all my files no matter where I go. I don't to much traveling via airlines anymore so for me taking it with me for work (which I do daily) in the car, to the office etc is perfect. Like others have stated this thing doesn't weight crap if you ever lugged around some of the 9 and 10lb machines from the past few years.

I do most of my heavy use at home, but the last thing I want to do is have two machines and think about syncing them or moving files back and forth. This is too easy a process for me to always have what I want. I deal with blueprints and layouts for the building industry so the larger the screen I can have in the field the better. The 15" was good but the 17" and higher resolution have really made a difference when trying to read notes and view an entire blueprint or layout on screen at once.

Sure I wish it weighed less but it's the best that's out there in the 17" size/weight ratio so I'm very happy with it.

*** To the OP, the thousands of other "happy" 17 MBP users are NOT here on the forums they are USING their machine :) mostly people that are either just looking to learn more about their machine (like me) or people with problems visit forums. Don't judge from the limited amount of people on forums that "were not happy" that's just not the case.

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Thanks for staying on topic.

22. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

17" uMBP

Add me to this statement. Mines been nothing but great.

23. apple2E macrumors regular

I've come from a 2003 17" powerbook g4. This laptop is awesome. I've done enough work on it to have it pay for itself so I have no complaints at all. Great machine.

24. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I'm glad that the people that enjoy there 17" enjoy them.
    I was curious, thinking about purchasing and picking one up. I have a 15" its only a month old. The matte screen and extra 2" seem to catch me. Although it's nothing more then candy I really don't need it so I think I will hold back. Is there anything else that I am missing about the 17" from the 15" that I need to know besides the obvious?