Is it me, or is this a lot of RAM being used?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chrsanthny5, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Chrsanthny5 macrumors regular

I got a 16GB 13" rMBP model, and I only have ~3GB left usable (as I'm typing this). I only have iTunes playing music and Safari open, in its last minutes of a download.

It seems that Safari is the main RAM hog, but almost 6GB? Is this normal? Or is there something wrong...

[​IMG]

Seems VERY extreme.:confused::eek:

PS, I just restarted about an hour ago and these have been the only apps I've been running.

2. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Mavericks uses a new Ram management system that will prefer to keep things in the RAM will compress them if needed to create more space. Under this approach free RAM is wasted ram. Its really the swap used that you should be worrying about. If that gets too high, then something is wrong. That picture shows a perfectly fine mac.

3. Chrsanthny5 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, thanks.
    I thought swapping occurred @ 24GB on a 16GB system, and I see very minor swapping in that screenshot (none since). I'm wondering what i could've done to induce a swap... I haven't been doing anything crazy (yet :D)
    but I'll trust you, since you most likely know more about this than me:apple:

4. Branskins macrumors 65816

It is important to look at the "Memory Pressure" graph now. If you hover your cursor over the graph, it says "Memory pressure is an indicator of the system's ability to meet the memory requirements of the user's activities. Higher memory pressure indicates the system is reaching its limits, and performance may degrade".

Mavericks manages memory a little differently. It will compress inactive memory to make more room for other applications if more memory is needed. It should then swap that compressed memory if it needs more memory. It is faster and more efficient to swap this compressed memory (since it takes up less space).

Basically: look at your memory pressure now too. Since it is low, the system is operating as it should, compressing memory and swapping some to keep as much in memory in possible. If the graph goes really high, then your system is having a hard time keeping up (which it is not here).

Hover your cursor over each box and it will give you some nice tooltips