Is it me or whenever Apple updates osx and ios airprint and airplay would stop workin

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aziatiklover, Dec 27, 2013.

1. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

So I have a Canon MG3220 and my Mac/iPhone cannot detect it under mavericks, lion, and ios 7! (Airprint cannot be found)

Yet my custom pc running windows 8.1 entreprise print just fine over wifi then

I have the Pioneer A1 that my 5s on ios 7.1 beta 2 cannot detect and itunes app on osx as well, but my ipod touch on ios 6 does!

One more thing my Western Digital NAS my cloud was working fine on Mavericks 10.9, but now that I updated it to 10.9.1 it won't see it under my network.

PS: I have the Apple extreme AC router

:rolleyes:

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is possible that it is due to your router. However, based on what little details have been provided, it is hard to tell. Lion does not have AirPrint and would have to use the driver that is proprietary. I am not sure how your printer is configured on Windows, whether by AirPrint or by a proprietary driver. As for Mavericks I cannot answer you on that as I cannot give an explanation. For iOS 7 beta 2 it is a BETA and may be buggy. I use beta 2 and while many things are improved, it has its fair share of bugs like all betas do. I really hope you are a developer who installed it on a non-productivity device. However, the average person should never run developer channel betas on their devices.

Best of luck to you on this AirPrint endeavor.

3. aziatiklover thread starter macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yea I am a developer running ios 7.1 beta 2, and I have the Apple extreme router AC version. As for windows 8.1 detecting my printer I think I used the canon tools. However, the same tools does not seem to work with Mavericks/Lion. Even tho I know I could prolly canon/pioneer parts for not having the latest firmware for their products to support the latest apple os, but still I think it is very frustrating.

I hope Apple will eventually make printers and speakers again so we can get better support overall.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try going to install the printer in Mavericks, however for the driver it should "default" to AirPrint. There will be a drop down and see if it gives an option for the particular driver. In my scenario, we have a Canon Pixma MG5300. So when I click + to add it, the default is AirPrint. However it gives me an option in the dropdown menu that says AirPrint for "Canon MG5300 Series". This downloads the appropriate driver from Apple. From my experience, Apple support with Canon is relatively good. So give it a shot.

5. aziatiklover thread starter macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Thanx for the tip, but what about on my iPhone? I can't even see any printer even tho it is connected to my Apple router. :confused:

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The printer should be set up over Wi-Fi not connected via USB to the Extreme. It should be joining the wireless network. I have seen issues if the network is using the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands on separate SSIDs. Please understand that the iPhone 5S can support 5 GHz where as the printer may not so they need to be networked together on the same LAN.

Say your network name is SmithWireless. If you run separate SSIDs then you would have "SmithWireless" and "SmithWireless 5 GHz". You want to turn off the second SSID if it is enabled and let the Extreme decide what band to put you on. This will create a merged LAN across both bands and your devices will see just "SmithWireless" but the router will determine the best signal possible.