Is it necessary to power off the phone since there is a sleep feature?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by VideoNewbie, Jun 20, 2009.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

hey guys under what circumstance would it b necessary to power off the phone since there is a sleep feature?

and also the only way to awaken from iphones sleep feature is by pressing the home button right?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

None, I never powered off my 3G nor will I do so with the 3Gs. I've turned it off before but only because I needed to reboot the device, i.e., turn it off/turn it on.

3. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

i have powered down my phone less than 10 times since getting it last year.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

You can also awaken by pushing the power button.

I also have never done more than restart my iPhone, never turned it off.

5. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

Definitely no need to turn it off. According to iStat I've went almost 2 months without powering off or restarting with no problems.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Besides the other answers, the only scenario I can think of is when you want zero battery useage and zero functionality (like a suitcase on a trip or a hike with limited/no cell coverage or for a swim when the phone isn't with you, hopefully).

But like the others, once it goes to sleep there is very, very little battery useage. For maximum battery, I turn off wi-fi and location services. If I'm not using data, I sometimes turn off 3G.