iPad Pro Is it necessary to protect the back of the IPP 12.9 if you use the ASK?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jaybar, Jul 25, 2017.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Hi

I just purchased the new IPP 12.9. I have the ASK which I use primarily as a Smart Cover but also use it as a keyboard. Do I also need to protect the back? If so, how?

Thanks

2. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

There are cases that fit on the back that leave room to use with the ASK. Only you can decide if the extra bulk is worth the protection from scratches and possible dings. I have a first gen 12.9 with an ASK and back case and while I don't have a particularly thick case, it does add to the thickness which kind of sucks - but I don't like scratches.

3. sacha_g88 macrumors newbie

I just have the ASK and am just planning to be careful. If apple releases a silicone case for 2nd gen 12.9 i may pick it up.

4. DesertSurfer macrumors 6502a

DesertSurfer

Between the Sonoran Desert and the Pacific Ocean
    I've been wondering the same thing. I think the best approach may be to add a wrap (e.g., Slickwraps) to the back for protection with essentially no added weight. Anyone have another source that you like?

5. sdz macrumors 6502

Not necessary at all.

Anyway: With the ASK, it is already too bulky (IMHO)

6. dulaney22 macrumors regular

Just have to be ultra careful if worried about scratches. As the previous poster mentioned, he ASK makes it very bulky. Don’t know if a case added makes much difference.

7. Rorosbutt macrumors regular

I have a point of inquiry. What is an "ASK"? Maybe my brain isn't working at this time of night.

8. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Apple Smart Keyboard

9. KUKitch macrumors 6502

KUKitch

I'd say not necessary, unless you take it everywhere and aren't overly cautious with it... it can certainly get scratched up, but it seems that around the house usage isn't typically too damaging as far as surface scratching to the back goes. Now, drops on the other hand...

10. Marcus17 macrumors newbie

dbrands.com makes good skins with high quality and good instructions for applications

11. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

12. DesertSurfer macrumors 6502a

DesertSurfer

Between the Sonoran Desert and the Pacific Ocean
    Here's an example of a skin protector for the rear of the 12.9" iPad Pro, about 2 1/2 minutes in:

13. RevTEG macrumors 6502

RevTEG

I'm about to find out the answer to your question for myself. I bought the iPad 12.9 pro (gen 1) on launch day. Also bought the ASK AND apples rear cover. The rear cover finally cracked on one of the corners. I've been using it with no bad cover for the last 4 weeks. I have zero scratches so far. Since its gen one I haven't been extremely careful with it since the back cover broke. Still no scratches.

However, even with how mine is holding up, I'll probably still try to find a back cover or clear skin when I get the gen two.