Is it necessary to upgrade to 16 gigs of Ram, or will 8 gigs do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Andrew Ryan, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Andrew Ryan macrumors newbie

I mainly use writing programs, and use Photoshop and Final Cut as a hobby. I recently purchased a Macbook Pro and was wondering if I should upgrade to 16 gigs of RAM or just settle for 8 Gigs. I wanted to do that before I download Mountain Lion.

They are both pretty cheap off crucial, but was curious on if 16 is overkill.

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Depends on your projects. If you have to ask though, probably not. If you have rMBP it could be a problem in the future.

3. Raunien macrumors 6502

If you are noticing a system slow down, check the memory section of the activity monitor - specifically how many page outs you have. If the page outs reads a significant amount, it might be wise to upgrade to 16gb. If page outs are reading close to 0, then 8gb is plenty.

4. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Is there such a thing as too much RAM? If you can afford it...get it.:D

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Sounds like 8GB will be more than enough. You can always upgrade from that in the future if you find that you need more or if your usage increases in terms of RAM.

6. Andrew Ryan thread starter macrumors newbie

I see Page in, but I don't see where it says "page out"

----------

Ah, I see it.

It says, 939.1 MB

7. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Yes, there is such thing as too much RAM. If you don't use it then you are wasting it. "If you can afford it...get it" is the worst advise you can give. Why dump the money that you won't utilize it.

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

This was true in the past, but the difference in price between 8 and 16 GB aftermarket RAM is not even a night out with a couple of drinks. This should not be an argument. 16 GBs will come in handy, because of the way OS X memory management and caching works, even if the user seemingly does not need it. Considering the prices we're talking about here, it's probably a bigger waste of money to upgrade to 8 GB and then throw that away and upgrade to 16 GB next year when the need arises.

9. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

First thing I did with my top spec Imac was to take the RAM up to 16GB...As posted above, it does depend on what you use your Mac for...I do a lot of Video and photo editing work, and the extra RAM has been a performance enhancer in certain areas for me.

It's also cheap, so I'd go for it personally.

Attached Files:

10. epigenome macrumors member

It really, really depends on what you do and how you use your computer. Honestly, when doing a semi-normal workload (for me) - I find it pretty easy to eat through 8 GB of RAM... I never get too far over, but I'll use up all of 8 GB easily.

Here's an example of the work I was doing tonight that landed me around 8-9 GB used running:
    Adobe Illustrator
    Microsoft Excel
    Microsoft Powerpoint
    Safari
    Itunes
    Terminal
    Cyberduck

Admittedly, I could have altered my workflow so I was focusing on one program as I go - but that's not how I prefer to work and I like having a system that runs smoothly. If you're just running Final Cut or Photoshop combined with a browser and maybe itunes - you could easily get by with 8, but if 16 GB isn't significantly more expensive, go for it.

11. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

If you have to ask - you dont understand. :D

12. Iphone4sinwhite macrumors 6502

My cMBP has 4 gb of ram. My page-outs are typically 50% of my page-ins or higher (probably due to continuously using fusion 5 and a lot of math software). However, I came from an old windows machine so any slow down is yet to be detectable by me :D

13. steve217 macrumors regular

steve217

This ... plus when manufacturing shifts to a new memory type, your type will become rarer and thus, more expensive. The trick then, is when to jump. I waited on a Dell Desktop (DDR2 SDRAM) and now an 8gb kit is $300.

Since you can get a 16 gig kit for less than $80 now, the decision should be pretty easy.

14. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

If the logic of being able to afford it then get it is how people buy stuff then they will be buying a lot of things they won't need.

Moreover, RAM will just get cheaper therefore wait till you need it then upgrade it later. I don't think a 16gb RAM will be the standard within a year or someone will just randomly need the extra 8gb of RAM after a year. I would say maybe 2-3 years later then app will require more RAM and by then 16gb RAM will be cheaper.

15. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I upgraded my ram to 16gb. No regrets here. Do as you please as your computer will still perform. If it was me, I would upgrade as aftermarket prices are very reasonable.

16. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Get 16. It has shot down in price insanely over the past few days.