Is it normal for my battery percentage to go down from 100% to 99% immediately?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KingMo, Dec 26, 2010.

1. KingMo macrumors member

I have been having a few problems regarding the battery life on my new iPad.

Firstly, When I charge it, it reaches about 96% then the sign changes from the "charging state" (the lightning bolt) to the charged state (the plug symbol)...However, it keeps charging. (The numbers keep increasing.)

Secondly, as soon as I unplug my iPad from the charger, the percentage decreases from 100% to 99%. Is this normal?

And thirdly, the battery life decreases rather fast...like in 5 to 10 minutes, one percentage is lost and only one app is open. (IM Pro).

Can someone help me with my problems here?

2. 3583582 Suspended

Average 7.5 minutes.

7.5 x 100= 750

750/60 = 12.5

So, that's 12.5 hours battery life with very light usage. Seems about right..

3. KingMo thread starter macrumors member

Oh ok...thanks for breaking it down for me. But what about the issue where my battery life decreases the second I unplug my charger?

4. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Battery life is not linear so you cannot just take the duration of 1% and multiply by 100. Sometimes I have 75% turn off and on, and I have 77% etc. There is no way of precisely measuring

5. Samslice12 macrumors member

I think this is pretty normal. Think about it logically, you're battery can never be at 100% unless it is plugged in. The second you unplug it, it's going to discharge even a tiny amount and then it is no longer at 100%, might be 99.8%. Considering it only shows whole numbers, it must round down to 99%?

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Unless you just relax you will not enjoy your new toy!

Just use it like there is no tomorrow.

7. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Thank you for providing one of the best darned answers I've seen in a long time on this forum.

8. KingMo thread starter macrumors member

I'm definitely enjoying it...I just intend to get my money's worth when I spent all of this money on a product. But trust me, I'm enjoying it the most I can.

9. wwchris, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

wwchris macrumors regular

Many times battery issues can be addressed by doing a hard reboot. Just hold down the power and home buttons at the same time for about 5 seconds until it turns off on its own, then turn it back on. It will take a little longer to reboot this way, just give it a minute.

This is not "slide to turn off", keep holding them until it just turns off on its own to a black screen.

10. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

true but they are normalizing the discharge curve and it even has a little learning component hence the advice off and on here let it see a full discharge under 20% to read accurately.

11. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I had 3 iPads so far, one took a very long time to move from 100% the other jumped down in a minute, so it does vary.

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Glad you found it dandy!:eek:

It is so much better than "As someone pointed out, this has been mentioned over and over and over."

LOL!