Is it normal to see a shadow at the bottom of the Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Gasmoxia, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Gasmoxia macrumors newbie

My Macbook Air has a shadow that runs along the bottom of the screen. It's more noticeable when there's a white background. Is this normal on a Macbook Air?

Also, if it is normal can it cause any problems in the future?

Thanks.

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Yes, every Macbook Air I've ever seen has that. :)

3. Gasmoxia thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply! :)

Can it cause any problems in the future? This Macbook Air is just new.

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

No, it's not a defect. It's totally normal. I've actually grown to like it. :)

I assume it was a tradeoff for fitting a display into such a thin enclosure.

5. Drock93 macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've noticed that with all the Air's I've had/seen. Not sure why so.

6. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

Yep. It was one of the first things I noticed when I bought my 2012 MBA. I think it varies from unit to unit but it is normal. Also, at least in my experience it never got worse. You get used to it after a while.

7. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

This shadow is actually present all around the display. It's easily seen at the top of the menu bar as a slightly darker stripe. Some are worse than others though.

Once you realize it's 'normal' you just learn to ignore it. But my OCD is too strong. I have the status bar displayed on Safari to try and hide the shadow at the bottom of the display ;)

8. Skoma macrumors newbie

I can confirm that I have this on my new 13" MacBook Air (Early 2014). At first I was considering bringing it back to the store for a change, but after I spent a couple of hours reading various threads discussing this issue, I decided to keep it and go along with it. (It seems that all Airs have this issue, only the degree of a shadow varies).

The main reason for keeping current laptop is that I'm afraid to get a computer with bigger problems. I've already had one change (just another day after buying), because of loose trackpad, that was making noises just from touching its surface.

I'm a little bit disappointed, because I had absolutely no problems with apple products before, all of them (black macbook, iphone 3, iphone 4, ipad 3) were perfect just out of the box.

Still not sure If I my decision is right. Maybe I should still try to change it at the store. Maybe some of newly produced Airs do not have this problem?

9. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

10. Skoma macrumors newbie

I see an "Early 2014 MacBook Air 13" in your signature. So new 2014 models still have this issue? Then I'm certainly keeping mine. Won't bring it to the store for replacement.

11. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Yea the 14's are the same as the 13's. A slight shadow along the bottom. I notice it but It doesn't bother me.

12. kage207 macrumors 6502a