Is it normal to see image capture in activity monitor every 3 seconds?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by madpixl, Feb 27, 2009.

1. madpixl macrumors newbie

Not so sure what that means, but I've been a little slow (network not myself) lately, just thought I'd ck. If its something to worry about, I'll post a netstat here and perhaps someone could set my mind at ease, (or not).

Thanks in advance.

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

If you don't have Image Capture open, it's shouldn't be appearing.

Post the output to:
    Code:
    sudo ps -ax

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Image Capture.app or Image Capture Extension? I see Image Capture Extension running as a process. Maybe you have a device plugged in that's interacting with this process somehow?

4. G.T. macrumors 6502a

Have u just brought a mac from someone that is not apple?

I just say cause is there not something people can buy that if their mac is stolen it takes pictures so they can find out who has it.

http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/

ok this says 6 minutes

5. jtknyu macrumors newbie

Image Capture Extension CPU usage

I realize your post is old. However, I recently developed a major problem with my iMac slowing, and slowing to terminal stop speed. Activity Monitor showed "Image Capture Extension" using from 6 to 40% of CPU. If I kill this process "Quit Process" on toolbar of Activity Monitor, the computer returns to normal speed. Anyone know anything about this?

6. jtknyu macrumors newbie

Image Capture Extension

Realize I'm responding to a very old post. However, I'm in the middle of a long process with AppleCare trying to figure out why Image Capture Extension runs when it shouldn't, uses 99% of the CPU, and slows my iMac to a virtual halt. Since the problem began iPhoto and FileMaker Pro have become useless. Other actions also trigger the Image Capture Extension, but Stopping the process in Activity Monitor seems to correct the situation. This seems to be a User specific problem, although changing every Preference, and entire User Library has not solved it. I wonder if others have similar problem with slow Macs and are not aware of this cause? I have OS 10.6.8, running a 2.4 G iMac with many peripherals (disconnecting peripherals made no difference). I'm puzzled that knowing the problem, Apple's engineers seem unable to figure out how to fix it.

7. SoCalMac macrumors newbie

From reading Apple's site, apparently this process is usually associated with scanners and cameras. I didn't see any mention of screen capture. Have you recently added/updated/reconfigured a driver for something like this? I found this page after Google'ing for the same issue though not as severe as what you've described. My scanner is a Canon MX860 connected via WiFi. Leaving my MacBook Pro on through the night at bedside for the past couple nights working on a project, noticed that after it goes to sleep (as had I) it randomly wakes up and turns up the screen brightness level on its own in the middle of the night for a few minutes. Connect to an external monitor now, same behavior during the day, spotted the Image Capture process after one of these incidents, noticed that shortly thereafter the process ends on its own. I wonder if this is some driver trying to find the scanner on the network?