Is it not cheaper for 3G users to CANCEL their contract vs RENEW to get a 3G S??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jshort, Jun 16, 2009.

1. jshort macrumors regular

For all those frustrated with AT&T charging $200 more for us iPhone 3G users to upgrade to the 3G s.. plus the "upgrade fee" plus the "activation fee" does this math make sense?

-I've had my 3G for 9 months. AT&T's cancellation fee is $175 less $5 for every month you've paid so far. So that would be $130 plus activation ($18?) which is in theory cheaper than the extra $236 for simply upgrading under my current contract.

Does any of that make sense?

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Even if you cancel, you won't be eligible to renew and get a new full subsidized phone.

3. jshort thread starter macrumors regular

How so? If you cancel.. you are no longer an AT&T customer and that would make you a new customer.. no?

4. williamgallas10 macrumors regular

You can't cancel and signup as a new customer immidiaty. You have to wait 90 days before your account is deleted.

5. D3lta macrumors 6502a

If you cancel, you lose your number... is it really worth it?

6. jshort thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm- I think it might be..

A new contact information email blast and you're good to go.

7. Munitalp macrumors 65816

You lose your number which is in most cases a huge problem.

8. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

9. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

You would lose your number AND you can't sign up again for another 90 days (3 months without a phone!).

10. FastangV6 macrumors regular

FastangV6

I thought that if you pay the ETF then you do not have to wait 90 days?

For example, couldn't you pay the ETF for one of your "add-a-phone" lines and then add another new "add-a-phone" line the next day? Paying the ETF fulfills your end of the 2 year contract, so there should be no penalty, right?

I agree that you would lose the phone #, unless you port it somewhere else, but I didn't think you got hit with 90 day penalty if you paid the ETF... ?

11. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

You still can't reopen an account with your identifying information (name, ssn, phone number, address, anything) for 90 days. The account stays active in the system for that long, in case you decide to come back, or default on your last bill or term fee. If you try to purchase a handset, they simply reactivate your account and you are at the same eligibility status as you were before you cancelled, and you do not get your ETF back.

Everyone who cancels early has to pay an ETF so it doesn't make sense that paying the ETF would exempt you from the restriction.

If you terminate a family plan line, you are not eligible to add another line for another 90 days.

This is to prevent exactly this type of activity.

12. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

I think he was gonna add the other line before cancelling.

13. The General macrumors 601

I sold my iPhone 3G, canceled my contract and service on October 11th 2008, switched to T-Mobile G1, returned the G1 on November 10th 2008 and went to the Apple store and bought an iPhone 3G 8GB for $199.

30 days later I got the cheapest price.

14. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

If you port your number to another carrier that releases you from the 90 day requirement, because you took your number and it doesn't have to reenter the number pool. If you port that number back from another carrier you are effectively a new customer, though they probably won't be thrilled about it.

If you cancel WITHOUT porting, you are subject to a 90 day window.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't think they care if they get the ETF from you.