Is it now fair to say that the MBA has the worst screen among all mainstream laptops?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by saintforlife, Jan 6, 2015.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Apple needs to update the MBA line with retina displays asap. Frankly having only 900/768 vertical pixels is now embarrassing when you look at all the new laptops that were unveiled at CES 2015.

2. TRC-WA macrumors regular

After upgrading from an Air to a Pro the other day I am now wondering how I managed to use an Air for 16 months...

3. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I have had several MacBooks over the years. And the first gen macbook air for 2 weeks (was horrid).
    And since picking up my 2014 MBA I am happy with the screen and over all performance. My most recent Mac was a 2011 MBP HRAG maxed out.
    I think when you start to look at the competition they have caught up and surpassed in a few areas. But I still rather have my mac:apple:

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

5. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

The Air is dire need of a refresh. Dell is now claiming 15 hours of battery life on their new 2015 XPS 13 with a 1080p display. So yes, for what it is and the cost, the Air is indeed the worst. I'd still take an Air over the new Dell, though.

6. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Yes. 1366x768 is passable for a $200 Chromebook and Windows budget devices but even they are now getting 1080p like the Toshiba Chromebook 2, Acer Chromebook 15. Personally, I don't touch anything lower than 1080p.

7. motrek macrumors 68020

The 11" MBA already has 135 PPI. Those are some small points.

Do you want higher res so you can see more information on the screen? That's going to be tough to see even for someone with excellent eyesight. Not sure why that's desirable.

Or do you want it so you can see the same information but with no "jaggies"? In other words, there's no practical benefit to you, it's just nicer to look at and that's what you demand?

8. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

As a happy 11" Air user I second that. Smaller pixels wouldn't add much benefit as long as the physical size of the display remains the same. Now if they would reduce the bezel and put in a bigger display, yes, then a higher resolution makes sense.

9. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Don't forget scaling. 125% scaling at 1080p is much nicer than 1366x768 pixelation.

10. Agent47 macrumors member

My 11" has become my primary machine, and while I'm ok with the resolution, overall sharpness, even backlighting (no dark corners!) and viewing angle are terrible. I know its thin and light, but come on. My iPad screen is vastly superior.

11. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

12. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

The biggest factor for me is that the MBA is still on TN. I wouldn't care that much if the resolution stayed the same, but the lack of IPS on a 1000$ computer is sad. I do agree that a hiDPI display would be nice, but it isn't nearly as important as good viewing angles, for me at least. Maybe it's because I watch movies while lying on my side in bed, but that's what I want.

Matt

13. Serban Suspended

14. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Why not? Which have worse?

15. bandrews macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I love my 11" MBA but the resolution is the least of the screen's problems.

16. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

No, I think the resolution is still ok, for the screen size. But, like others have said, I personally wouldn't buy a laptop below 1080p resolution.

17. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I'm a happy 11" Air user as well. I won't attempt to convince people who think that the Air's screen is a jacked up mess to think differently but I do think that such sentiment is a bit of hyperbole.

18. motrek macrumors 68020

Oh give me a break. If you look at Best Buy's web site, the cheapest laptop they have with a 1080p screen or better is $600.

Anything cheaper has a ~768 pixel vertical resolution which is the same as an 11" MBA and isn't as good as a 13" MBA. And the Anandtech review of the current MBAs shows that they have better screens than most budget laptops (better contrast, better color gamut, etc.).

On average, people spend $513 on a laptop, so that means most people are still buying laptops with screens that are inferior to the current MBAs.

So, no, the MBA does not have "the worst screen among all mainstream laptops." Just the opposite, actually.

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

Thank you for answering that so nicely for me :)

20. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Sorry but a 11" retina screen is not my cup of tea. I had trouble seeing stuff on the MacBook Pro so I deliberately moved to a lower resolution screen for Window 7 Pro via BootCamp

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly.

Yes, but you probably use your iPad and your MBA for different things. Superior screen or not, I ended up giving away my iPads to my brothers, even one with a retina screen; this was because I found them too infuriating to actually use.

Agreed.

Excellent post.

And, at the end of the day, while the screen on the MBA is no longer the best in the business (as it was a few years ago) that is still not the reason those of us who love the form factor choose to buy them. For speed, power, portability, and battery life, nothing, but nothing beats the MBA. These needs still trump the need for an outstanding screen for most who buy the MBA.

Yes, I love the retina screen on the 15" MBP; but, until I need a substitute desk-top, and am semi-permanently tethered to a desk, I will not buy another MBP. For now, I need blazing speed, reliability, power, portability and great battery life. The MBA delivers that and more. A really divine screen is an optional extra, but not, for me, a vital necessity.

Indeed, yes.

22. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

+1. I agree 100%.
    Isn't it tiresome that for the past weeks more than one thread is dealing with MBA's screen?
    If you don't like it, don't buy it, don't use it. Get what you want. I wonder what all these people were saying about Apple screens before retina?

23. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Not to mention a significantly smaller footprint than the 13" Air. They're promoting it as a 13.3" display with the footprint of an 11" device.

To be honest, I can't see any reason why you'd take the current MBA over this PC except for an aversion to Windows.