Is it ok and safe to buy Certified refurbished from Amazon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hgrimberg, Feb 25, 2016.

1. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd buy that over getting something on swappa and had I known about this before hand, I would have (I bought two 5s for my daughters a couple of weeks ago).

3. chrfr macrumors 603

Remember, you aren't buying from Amazon; you're buying from some other vendor that has Amazon handling the ordering and shipping for you. Any warranty on the phone would be through that third party company, not Apple or Amazon.
    You need to rely on the reviews for the product when deciding if it's safe to buy. There are a lot of reviews, most are positive, but many are negative.
    Anyone can claim a product is "Certified Refurbished" which likely means nothing other than "I cleaned this phone." It's not as if Apple did the refurbishing and then gave the phone to a 3rd party company to sell through Amazon.

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Just picked up a refurbished 3TB Time Capsule from a Prime vendor. Packed in original Apple box. Looks brand new and works great.

5. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

Unless it's coming straight from Apple and their pretty amazing refurbishment process, I would be a little leery. As @chrfr said, anyone can sell anything on Amazon and call it "Certified". That's not to say that there aren't other good refurbishment programs out there, but there are quite a few terrible ones. Be vary aware of buying from non-Amazon vendors on their website.

6. hgrimberg thread starter macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

Who is this prime vendor? Can you recommend it? Do they sell iphones as well?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I got a certified refurbished toothbrush for sale :)

8. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

I just got a 5S that way and it was in perfect shape. It was the silver version from the exact same listing.

9. xixi.li macrumors regular

I do not suggest that you buy it from the Amazon,jp

10. hgrimberg thread starter macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

Do you mean it was from the listing I posted here?

11. hgrimberg thread starter macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

Where else do you sugest buying an outdated iphone for a low price?

12. Sumter macrumors regular

Sumter

You could check out Swappa unless you don't want used phones.

Some people do sell new phones sometimes but for a 5s it's less likely, I think.

You could also check out eBay and only go for highly reviewed, recently active sellers who deal with electronics like phones and purchase from them

13. hgrimberg thread starter macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

But aren't refurbished better than used?

14. Sumter macrumors regular

Sumter

I wouldn't really trust any other third party "refurbished" unless it was done by apple and third party is selling those.

15. xixi.li macrumors regular

Your local the third repairing iPhone store is a good choice.

16. aKansasKid macrumors regular

You can buy a brand new 16GB 5s on Cricket's website for $199. It has to be used on Cricket prepaid for 6 months and can then be unlocked and used on any AT&T or T-mobile based service after that.

Or if 9to5Mac has the rumor right, when the new 4" iPhone is announced in March, the 5S will drop to the $250 range.

Either way you get a new phone and new battery.

17. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Yes, same one. It is technically refurbished, but looks brand new and the battery holds a full charge. I have no qualms about buying one again.

18. cynics macrumors G3

Buy it and once you get it just go over it with a fine tooth comb...

I will buy and return something to Amazon in a millisecond if something isn't EXACTLY as described.

I've received, returned and been refunded for things on the same day I've ordered them! Amazon is pretty good about taking care of their customers.

I just returned a trekking pole today that was supposed to be a SET and was refunded before the seller was even aware of the situation. I don't have time to be jerked around with poor service...either they were up to something or someone screwed up the order, regardless its not my problem anymore...

19. Freakonomics101 macrumors 6502a

Freakonomics101

Not all of them are bad. I bought an iPhone off Amazon and had no issues with it.

20. hgrimberg thread starter macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

What is that 4" iphone???

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The new 4 inch iphone that is supposed to be released.

22. hgrimberg thread starter macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

23. old-wiz macrumors G3

Their refurbished phones are not refurbished by Apple. Amazon is usually safe, but I would only go for an Apple refurb.

24. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

If the rumors are true it will be released this month, and go on sale the same week (maybe even day) as the Apple event.