Is it ok to free up memory or respring say once a day in SBS settings? (those JB)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobright, Aug 4, 2010.

1. bobright macrumors 601

I notice after being JB if I don't respring or free up memory my phone gets sluggish by the night. Is it okay to respring or free up memory once or twice a day - in sbsettings??

Is it normal for the memory to dip after a days of lots of use, web browsing, YouTube, games etc?

2. joe414 macrumors newbie

I free up memory all the time. More free memory = better battery life. It's good to turn off once in a while too! I'm constantly closing open apps in "multi tasking".

3. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Yes it's ok and yes it's normal for your memory to get lower and lower the longer you leave your iPhone on without restarting. BTW restarting completely cleans your memory (RAM is considered volatile memory) until the phone reboots and starts using it again.

4. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Right on guys it definitely makes things snappier once you restart or free up memory. How much memory do you guys usually have free after a reboot?

I usually have about 370-380. I'm assuming it all depends on how much apps you got, location, notifications on or off etc..

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

HOw do you get the memory to display in the title bar? Fast answer appreciated.

6. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Jailbreak and instal SBSettings. And then in the settings for SBSettings there is an option to show free memory in the status bar.

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Okay thanks! And how do you free the memory?

8. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

In SBSetting there is a processes button. You click on that and it shows you your current processes and at the bottom it has a button to free up memory. It usually works really well when you are almost out of memory or at least it did on my 3GS. I haven't had to use it on my 4 yet :)

9. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

get the backgrounder app, it's free and will allow you to control what does or does not multitask, it also provides true multitasking by leaving an app you choose to MT running in the background as though it was open

10. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

guys keep these kind of threads into the hacks subforum

the main iphone board is already cluttered as is

I usually don't end any processes until i notice any kind of lag... so far Im hovering around 150mb of free ram ( miwi running in the background) and I haven't had to end processes

can anyone confirm this "less running apps = better battery life", it sounds like a bit of a "i guess that makes sense" but no actual testing

( yes i understand streaming apps/pandora/wifi will obviously kill battery life)

11. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

With less RAM available doesnt phone work harder when ti quickly needs to get to the random access memory?

12. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

quick computer lesson.. RAM (Random Access Memory) is used to store data from your computer. It is used to store things like session variables, gui's of programs, and launch information.. when you open a program it is first coppied to the RAM, then your device loads the program from the ram into what you see. When you close a program, it remains in the RAM so next time it is loaded, your system will not have to copy it to the ram again.

What will cause it to slow down is if this ram is full and it has to dump memory to create space for a loaded application, or if you simply do not have enough that is needed for the application so it has having to dump and load consistantly during your session, puting more strain on the CPU and thus slowing it down, since the CPU is responsible for the task of transfering to and from the RAM.