is it ok to have a plastic film on the HD?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by justinwheelon, Feb 24, 2012.

1. justinwheelon macrumors newbie

I just recently changed out my HD. I got an enclosure to swap and everything but in the enclosure box was a plastic film it said to place on the back of the HD so I did.

BUT when I put the new HD into my MBP I realize I didn't take the plastic film off the back....is this ok...should I take the cover off and remove it?

On one hand I think it's ok because the enclosure box told me to put it on

but then I realize it wasn't for the MBP so I don't know if the HD ever gets heated and the plastic will be a bad thing...

Thanks for your advice as always!

2. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Is it secure on the Hard Drive? Because plastic film tends to melt/warp in the presence of excessive heat.

In any event, it depends on the nature of the plastic film, how thin is it exactly?

3. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

Are you talking about the little clear, plastic pull tab that comes on the HD? That just helps you pull it back out when you change drives. Is it about 2inches long, with 1 inch width? If that's what it is, then you are fine. If it is something more like a plastic sheet that covers the whole top of the HD, then you should take that off. I'm pretty sure it's just the pull tab though. Hope that helps.

4. justinwheelon thread starter macrumors newbie

actually it covers the whole bottom of the circuit board :/

5. Nails1 macrumors newbie

I know what plastic film you're talking about. I personally think it would be fine to leave it on there.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Yes, EXCESSIVE heat. In other words, far exceeding what a HDD will ever produce unless it's already severely broken...