Is It OK To Have Fans On @ 5000RPM @ All Times?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HappyDude20, Jan 9, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

With SmcFanControl my MBP automatically raises the speed when needed and I've found myself for most of the time its running at about 5,300+RPM's.

Is this okay?

Even right now just surfing the web, on MacRumors and other sites i'm at 5300RPM and the temp. is about 130*F.

When uploading to YouTube in HD from iMovie, or editing in Final Cut Express its usually about 150*F. If the SmcFanControl was set too 2000RPM then it would get to open 190*F, which I obviously turned the fan back on.

2. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I'd suggest buying a notebook cooler. Running your fans all the time can cause more wear and tear on them, causing them to fail sooner. Anything you can do to decrease the speed of the fans and/or shut them off entirely while doing trivial tasks is beneficial.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...86&cm_re=zalman_cooler-_-34-998-686-_-Product

This one is fantastic. I have it for my 17" laptop now and it keeps the bottom nice and cool. I'm not sure if that model is for 17" laptops or not; you'll have to check if you have a 17" laptop. It's a great one because it will cool the bottom of your MBP and it distributes the cooling evenly throughout the bottom.