Is it OK to keep your old iPhone 4 or should I sell it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

I mean, what do you do with all those old contacts, photos, notes, voice memos that you don't need or look at anymore?

I don't want it cluttering my iPhone 5 even if I got a 64GB.

I have 5,000 photos on my iPhone 4 that I don't look at and don't want it on my iPhone 5.

What is the best solution? Just keep my iPhone 4?

2. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

keep your iPhone 4 and start over again on the 5, adding the contacts you will actually talk to.

3. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

I would keep it since you still have a use for it.

Or you could transfer all your pics to your PC and then format the iPhone 4 and sell it.

4. GetSwole37 macrumors member

Buy a memory card for 20 bucks. Transfer all yor stuff to it. Sell phone for 200

5. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I use my wife's old iPhone 4 as an iPod Touch. It works in all the 30 pin docks :)

6. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

That's a good way of recycling ... Did the same with my old iPhone 3G, now my son's iGame

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My sister gave me her old iPhone 3GS for Christmas last year. That phone has long been off contract and my carrier is Sprint. So, I used it as an opportunity to learn iOS. I was prepared when I bought my iPhone 5.

But it's useful in other ways. I have my Google voice number set up on it and I use Talkatone with it. I can make VOIP phone calls, get voice mail, use iMessage (albeit with an email and not a number) and text just using it on WiFi. I have WiFi at home, at work and at my local Starbucks so it all works out.

Now my son is learning iOS (he's 8) with this old 3GS. At home I use it as a trackpad for my Mac and for streaming internet radio. It's still a relevant device even without a carrier.

8. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Back up the phone and archive the backup.

If you really need the money, sell it. Personally I'm keeping mine as a backup phone. If my 5 decides to suddenly quit, I'll at least have a phone until I get to an Apple Store.

9. Nevrsadie macrumors regular

Nevrsadie

my wife and I both upgraded to 5's from ip4's. After getting the 5's, I called ATT and got both old phones ulocked. I restored them with fresh copy of ios6 and they both will be christmas presents this year.:D

10. bdavis89 macrumors regular

Keep it as a backup and go naked with your new iPhone. :apple:

11. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I had my phone unlocked. I was happy to sell it for $100 to someone who needed a phone, but didn't want a contract. I had no need for it really.

The hardest part is resetting it. Letting go of it I guess :rolleyes: My VM didn't transfer, so I had to use voice memo to record them onto my 5. That was the only thing I was missing. Everything else was easy to transfer. All my pics were imported to my Macbook Pro and whatever was on the phone transferred over to my 5. Texts, notes, apps, music.... Contacts were in Gmail and iCloud.

12. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Get it unlocked and use it when you vacation in Europe.

13. SnowDX macrumors 6502

What do used 4s go for in your area?

Our photos were already on our computer since we regularly back up our data. Anything else got put onto our 5's when we set them up with back ups from the 4's. Then I sold the 4's for $350 -$375 each. I didn't have $350 worth of use for one at home so selling was better for us.

If I was only going to get $100 for ours, I would have kept at least one for back up, music remote to AppleTV, etc. For travelling we can just use our 5's.

14. jeff5 macrumors newbie

Did you toggle iMessage on and off?
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/3/2766734/accidental-espionage-imessage-iphone-theft-issue

UDID concerns?
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1019820

Someone should put together a checklist for completely wiping iPhones for sale