Is it OK to leave MBA in sleeping state in the car at -15C outside temp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SmOgER, Jan 5, 2016.

1. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2014
    Let's say we want to leave it for 3 hours. Is it okay to leave it in deep sleep state or is completely shutting it down preferred?

Normally I only shut it down / RR during OS updates and such. Just closing the lid is much more convenient.

I've had it left sleeping several times with no issues, but I have some doubts about risks involved...
  2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

Feb 13, 2011
    Baltimore, Maryland
    You're really pushing it!

Also, cold laptops collect condensation, internally and externally, when moved to warm locations with any decent amount of humidity.
  3. SmOgER thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2014
    The unclear thing is if deep sleep mode is actually considered operating mode or not (and if it is, are tolerances any higher for it?).
    As for the humidity, I let it warm properly before waking it up - But again, is deep sleep a problem here? Or does it keep the circuits that are being used / supplied with power warm enough?
  4. weatherwax macrumors member

Jan 1, 2016
    Baltimore, MD
    This is what I'd be worried about. Good flag.
  5. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2014
    I bought a PowerBook online last year and it arrived in December absolutely ice cold. It would have been sitting in the back of the truck all day in ~15 F weather and probably in a cold warehouse before that. It booted and worked fine.