is it ok to leave my retina macbook pro plugged in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heavy2healthy, Nov 14, 2013.

1. heavy2healthy macrumors regular

It sits on my desk, now and then goes out with me. Is it ok to leave it plugged in or will it kill the battery?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

It will be fine. Here is the official info from Apple. Running on battery occasionally like you are doing it a good thing.

5. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

troll much?

My battery only lasted about 2 years, because I never really used just the battery power. I took it to work and used it on AC power 99.5% of the time for my 2011 MBP.. They told me I still need to condition the battery at the apple store by using it to within 10% battery power at least 1 or 2x per month.

6. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I would take apple store advise with a grain of salt when it comes to batteries. I feel like their solution to battery issues are always that its your fault. That being said, these batteries they use now are much better than the ones they used in 2008 so maybe it is the consumers fault when they start failing.

7. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

Not so sure it pretty much says that exact thing here too; http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

8. heavy2healthy thread starter macrumors regular