Is it OK to leave Original Plastic on Back of iPhone with Camera Cut-out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bgarrant, Feb 28, 2011.

1. bgarrant macrumors newbie

I just purchased a new Belkin Grip Vue and have read how it can scratch the back of the phone if any debris gets in between the phone and the case. I was wondering if it is OK to reapply the factory plastic that came on the phone to the backside if I cut-out the camera area? Will the original film plastic cause any damage to the phone? I cleaned the plastic with tape so lint has been removed. I assume it is OK to use it, but wanted to check with some other iPhone users. On the front I have a commercial screen protector already applied. I am just wondering about the back of the phone. Will it hurt the phone in any way to use that original factory plastic?

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

3. bgarrant thread starter macrumors newbie

I cut the tab off on the bottom so it fit in case better. I was just wondering if it will be as easy to get off in say two years. It seems like it would be fine and also protect the phone a bit from any debris getting in the case. I have an Otterbox Defender as well, but it is a bit big for EVERYDAY use. I also don't really like the "feel" of the screen with the OB on it. Itis a great protective case for sure, but it has some drawbacks as well.

4. Annerz macrumors regular

It's okay to leave it on. I left mine for a while.

5. Howdr macrumors regular

Howdr

I have done this with other things and it looked bad later, with dirt marks around the edge and discoloration.

I would buy a protective commercial cover and replace it.

6. SAD*FACED*CLOWN, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

if you leave it on too long debris will attach to the edges of the peeled away adhesive and scratch your phone anyway

I've been naked with the exception of a bumper since July and don't have a scratch yet...the bumper did scratch my antenna though

7. gimmeiphone macrumors 6502

it may cause the iphone to spontaneously combust! i wouldnt risk it tbh

8. abercrombie macrumors regular

abercrombie

Mine is still on since I got mine opening day. I have a rubber case so it does't detract from the appearance.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

10. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

its probably ok.....but if i were you i would just invest on a cheap one on ebay.