Is it ok to leave the MBP on for weeks, or even a month?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vader1990, Jun 29, 2009.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

Hi,

So is it ok to leave the October 2008 Unibody Macbook Pro on for extended periods like a few weeks to even a month? Like say you use it on battery, when it dies you plug it in, once its fully charged you keep using on battery. Basically you keep it in sleep when you're not using it instead of turning it off!

But once a month you turn it off to calibrate the battery. Is this ok to do? Will this hurt the MBP in anyway?

Your thoughts guys?

Thanks!!

2. jdaco6 macrumors regular

I did this and my Macbook Pro caught fire, could have burnt down my house!

There is a thread on this forums somewhere. I would suggest against it but its up to you!

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There shouldn't be a problem if you do that, a lot of users constantly leave it plugged in but every once and awhile you might want to deplete it to keep the battery fresh.

4. jay1118 macrumors member

jay1118

I wouldnt recommend it or see why you would do it.

5. anamznazn macrumors regular

anamznazn

I'm doing it right now...and I see nothing wrong with it. Although, I don't leave it in for a month straight. I would at least restart mines off once a week or so.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I usually run my Macs (including MBP) for weeks or months before turning off or restarting. Usually they are always running except when there is a periodic problem or software update. I leave my computers in sleep mode when I'm not using them.

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

i asked some "genius's the same question, and they said it was fine, just calibrate your battery once a month at the minimum.