Is it ok to leave the original packaging plastic on the back of the iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by regularguy, Oct 27, 2011.

1. regularguy macrumors newbie

I haven't taken it off even after putting it in my case. I just snipped off the piece that was hanging under the USB connection. Should I take it off? Why or why not?

Thanks

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

A friend was not very impressed with the photos from his new iPhone because they were all out of focus.

Turns out he had left the protective plastic on the back of the phone. :D

3. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Take it off, install a dedicated screen protector on the front screen and back panel. There's hundreds of sellers on eBay and you can grab a pack of 10 for as little as £2.

4. regularguy thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a zagg invisibleshield on the front and a speck pixelskin HD as a case. Is that enough? does the back need protection from its case? lol

----------

lol, I thought the pictures still look pretty good with it on...need to do a test.

5. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Dump the Zagg,

Get Power Support or SGP front and 3M Di Noc "carbon" back from EBay for a couple of dollars.

6. regularguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Why? Will it cause any permanent problem or just it simply not do the job of protection very well?

So I can put this carbon back on and it will still fit in the case? Does it cover the camera opening?

Thanks

7. gashandburn macrumors newbie

No, what you have right now is fine (though there isn't a need to keep the original plastic thing on the back).

The general consensus is that power support protectors are better than other brands (and I happen to agree). Zagg's have a problem with "orange peeling" after a while.

Depending on the thickness of the back you choose, it might/might not fit in the case. It is unnecessary to buy a carbon back skin if you plan to keep using the case you have now (it already covers the entire back of the phone). And no, it does not cover the camera opening...

8. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

A 3M carbon fiber back in black looks awesome with the black iPhone. I'd say install that onto the back. If you've got a white iPhone then I'd prefer a protective film on the back panel. Keep the Zagg intact.

9. regularguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Great thanks, just wanted to make sure that there's no lasting problem with using the zagg protector. Having just invested in it, I'll keep it on until it ever becomes annoying. For now, it looks great.

Can you buy these power support protectors at places where folks will install them? I hate installing screen protectors and one of the reasons I chose the Zagg is because BestBuy will do it for you for a fee.

10. gashandburn macrumors newbie

They sell the HD Anti-glare power support protectors at Apple stores (some people have seen the regular crystal ones as well, but my store didn't have them). If you ask, someone there should be able to put it on for you. If not, Power Support has a YouTube channel with installation videos. I did mine myself and it took 5 minutes.

11. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I use Ghost armour and I love it, it's expensive but it lasts a long time!!

12. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

Your pictures look alright with the stock plastic... until you turn on the flash.

13. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Yes, I think it fits even better. Since 3M Di Noc is thicker it protects back glass from dirt/grime trapped in the case scratches.

I had this setup for 17 months and my iPhone 4 glass is pristine.