is it ok to restore my unlocked iphone 3g? & no pushnotifications/unlocked iphone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by poohbear19, Dec 10, 2010.

1. poohbear19 macrumors regular

poohbear19

i tried restoring it and it said that it is updating my software before it restores it. I heard that updating an unlocked and jailbroken iphone will ruin it or brick it or something. So i canceled the update/restore and came here lol. I thought i could restore it first and then update it from 3.1.3 to 4.2.1. Is that possible with iphone 3g 8gig?

and has anyone ever got their push notifications to work on an unlocked iphone using tmobile? i have an old AT&T sim card so can i activate with that instead of redsn0w/PwnageTool/ultrasn0w? if not can you please give links to how to get push notifications to work? i tried push doctor and push fix but none of them work. :(
    thanks your help is greatly appreciated :)

also is there a difference between the words "software" and "iOS"? like if my iphone was a software 3.1.3 does that mean it is iOS 3.1.3 too?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If you have a Mac and know how to use PwnageTool you can upgrade to 4.2.1 and preserve your baseband so you can unlock.

"iOS" and "software" mean the same thing. "iOS" came into play when Apple released firmware version 4.0

3. poohbear19 thread starter macrumors regular

poohbear19

thanks
    i have windows tho so i can't upgrade it to 4.2.1?

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You can but unlocking becomes more risky. Read here: http://blog.iphone-dev.org

First post > Ultra Recycle.

5. poohbear19 thread starter macrumors regular

poohbear19

i know i have read that already but i also another way to do it here:

http://www.maggadget.com/unlock-you...-fix-push-notifications-and-battery-drainage/

it's just i dont know where to start. my phone is already unlocked but i don't know if it's ok to do it this way because i think this site tells you you need to update first.. so i tried restoring but now it forces to update and restore. am i the only one getting this?

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Update/Retore is what you have to do in order to upgrade.