Is it OK to stick with the same firmware for the life of the computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I have a late 2013 MBPr. I have been using 10.9.3 and I love it.

It is smooth, snappy and just works. The only issue I was having is an occasional delay in wake from sleep but I am OK with that.

My question is, can I just plan on using 10.9.3 for the life of the computer?

I really don't want Yosemite at this point or even 10.9.4. I am afraid new issues might arise.

While my computer is running great, I just want to leave it that way!

2. Greg1fraser macrumors member

you can leave it on that OS and never update but you may miss out on essential security updates and new features, do the updates and if you don't like it just simply downgrade by reinstalling the OS.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Eventually Apple won't release security fixes for that version of OSX.

Also, OSX isn't firmware, it's an operating system.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

10.9.3 is not your firmware - but is the version of the OS X operating system that you have installed.
    "Firmware" is an EFI update, which Apple might offer to fix a variety of issues, and usually are not tied to your operating system version in any way.
    There is no law that requires you to upgrade anything, and you don't have to fix any problems that happen, either. It's completely up to you. Personally, I like to avoid frustration if at all possible :D
    Your MBPr came with 10.9 when it was first released, and that shipping system was updated to 10.9.2 while your model was still sold.
    System upgrades, for example to 10.9.4, are not offered to confuse you, or give you the quick path to implosion, or loss of software - but are usually bug fixes and security updates. If you choose not to update, then you may miss out on possible security fixes - or may even leave you with a system the works BETTER because of some other fixes…
    And - it's a great time to know that you have a good backup of your entire hard drive - so if something unpredictable happens as a result of an update, you can easily revert to the previous version, if you feel that's necessary.

5. Scerby macrumors newbie

After installing 10.9.4 my MBP had problem with connecting to wifi after waking up. Also I had problems with freezing and gestures, so I did clean install.
    Now, I have 10.9.3 and my problem with connecting to wifi is resolved and it looks like that my problems with gestures and freezing also disappeared.
    So my advice is: do not install 10.9.4 yet.

Here is also thread where some people have also problems with wifi after installing 10.9.4: http://www.imore.com/does-os-x-1094-fix-your-macs-wi-fi-wake-sleep-issue

6. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

I had read people were having problems with 10.9.4.

The 10.9.3 water is just fine. As long as we get the security updates I don't see a problem.

7. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Some will and others will not. I have had no issues. It depends on many things like what the heck have they done to there system, i.e.: software, hardware, how they upgraded or clean install, what was installed on the system that may not have played well with the OS, or the install went bad. I've no issues with any or the Mavericks versions nor the newest Public Beta 2 Yosemite either....Go figure

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I have also had no issues at all with 10.9.4
    Recently, the security updates have been part of the point (.x) updates. SO, if you think you need the security updates (which Apple always recommends, it's why they include them), then you get to accept the system update. It's all part of the fun… :D Most often, problems can be caused by something that you have done, which an update may magnify (or might even fix) some issue that you are experiencing - another good reason to update when they are available. :D )

9. yjchua95, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

yjchua95 macrumors 604

Security updates are every part of a point release (i.e. 10.9.3, 10.9.4....etc).

If you don't update, you will lose out on security updates.

For instance, Mountain Lion (10.8.x) users are vulnerable to the XSLCmd malware (which was discovered sometime in August). This virus is not unlike its Windows equivalent. And Mountain Lion users will continue to be vulnerable to it until they upgrade to Mavericks or Yosemite.

For instance, 10.9.0 and 10.9.1 users were vulnerable to the massive GoToFail SSL vulnerability. And they would remain vulnerable until they updated to 10.9.2 or later.

So if there are any vulnerabilities that are open in 10.9.3, your only solution is to update it to 10.9.4.

For the sake of security alone, I always update my Macs immediately as soon as the combo updaters become available.

10. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

What are the security flaws in 10.9.3

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The issues fixed in 10.9.4 are documented here.