Is it ok to use a 52W battery instead of a 45W battery ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by XPcentric, Jun 3, 2017.

1. XPcentric macrumors 6502

I have a Macbook 5,1 which its supposed to use a 45W battery. But when I bought a replacement/China battery from Amazon the title says that it should work also on my model A1278 as well as on A1280. On the battery its written 52W and A1280, not my model.

The problem I'm trying to solve wih my Macbook is that it shuts down randomly. I did a CPU stress test, I installed a Fans temperature controller and now I ordered Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. But I'm not sure the problem with shutting down will go away.
    So should I try next to buy a 45W battery ?

2. XPcentric thread starter macrumors 6502

Update:
    I think its OK because I found out that it uses the same Volt number. I found that mAh is used to describe battery capacity.

3. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Using a higher wattage power supply, in cases where no regulation is done by the product it's charging (Don't know about that MacBook), there may be a risk of the battery losing max capacity quicker, as faster charging is harsher on batteries. That said, the difference probably won't be massive between 45 and 52.

Actually, I strongly assume the MacBook does internal regulation too. Would surprise me otherwise