Is it Okay for a Straight Guy to go to a Gay Dance Club?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rapmastac1, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I'm a straight guy and recently have been going to Club Sound here in Salt Lake City. The first time was by a mix up when the website wasn't updated, all I saw was women get in free so I'm like heck yes! Well it was the opposite as it was "Gossip" night. But man I had more fun that night than I ever have had in any club.

Is it wrong for me to go to Gay clubs, I can't go to normal clubs anymore because no one really dances. When I go to normal clubs, I feel like I'm the only one who is there to dance and maybe get a few phone numbers, but I'm certainly not on the prowl. At this club, it's much more relaxed and there is no stress involved with dancing with people. If a guy started hitting on me (they were telling me to take my shirt off, big sign, haha) I tell them right off that I'm straight but we can still party.

To get something straight though, I don't go to dance clubs to meet girls. I prefer to meet them "out in the wild" if you will. Right now is a time in my life where I just want to enjoy myself and not have to worry about a ball 'n' chain so to say. I just go to have fun with my friends, and have made a lot of new friends doing so.

What are your thoughts?

2. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Nothing wrong with that. As long as you're having fun, being upfront with people who hit on you, and not causing issues, I say, have a good time. :)

(It's a little different had you been a straight guy crashing a gay club that caters to lesbians, though.)

3. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

People hit on eachother in all kinds of clubs. They don't expect you to immediately take your pants off, so you shouldn't feel guilty for not being interested ;)

4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Nope, nothing wrong with it at all. Nothing wrong with getting your pants pounded once in a while too. Each their own.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

not my cup of tea as i dont like dancing with dudes

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Nothing wrong with that if you're comfortable. And I agree, gay clubs are more fun, people dance more there. :)

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Yes Nick you should go to club sound! Don't worry, I see straight guys there all the time! There are always straight girls there too! Don't be worried. :) Just go and have fun. BTW who have you been going with? People from The Sizz or what?

You don't have to dance with guys when you go there. You dance with other girls or the friends that you go with. :)

You obviously have never been to one before. There are always a lot of straight guys there that go with their girlfriends because the girlfriends don't wanna get hit on, or they like the music better. It's not weird at all.

8. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

It's America. FREEDOM! Yes, it is okay. But I can't imagine a straight guy going to one. o_O

9. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Usually the drinks are cheaper and you make a few friends should a fight break out around the neighborhood of the club it's strange at first when a drag queen has your back but you wont regret it--its nice being the token straight.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Although you like to watch ;)

OP of course you can go to a gay club :)

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Same here, and I'm gay. It's mostly because I can't dance though. :)

There are a lot of hot straight girls that go to gay clubs out here with their gay friends.

My smarter straight guy friends have figured that out, and it really works to their advantage. Seems like some of the girls find it very cool when a straight guy is comfortable enough to have fun in a gay bar.

12. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Back in the 1990s, the gay club in Myrtle Beach was popular with straights on Saturday nights as it stayed open much later than other clubs. Once you hit past midnight, the mix slowly changed to about half straight/half gay.

The music was good, the attitude low, the bartenders were cool and the owner was very involved in social work in the city.

It was a fun place to go.

Now, once I went with 2 stripper friends (me = straight guy, them = 2 straight stripper chicks) on a Wednesday night where we might have been the only straights there. The music was still good but the vibe was ... different. We got a ton of stares that night since we were the different ones.

But other than that, it was fun. If you enjoy the club and aren't put off by possible same-sex pda and even being hit on by a gay, then enjoy it.

13. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

15. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Gay clubs are way better than straight clubs.

16. LowEnder macrumors member

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

18. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

19. Rapmastac1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Yeah Jeff, the first time I went I was just by myself. It's much much better than Area 51! I just go with Alex and a few other people who work at the Sizzler who are new since you have been there. When I went last night, I saw both Dexter and Gonzalo there together (it's funny how Dexter refuses to come out, EVERYONE knows he is gay, haha).

Thanks guys, yes there are a lot of straight girls there. I don't hit on many of them because I know they are going there to get away from that very thing. Although I haven't run into many straight guys with their girlfriends though.

One of the big reasons I go there is because I'm only 20 (I refuse to use fake ids, especially now they are scanning them), and there aren't many clubs that are good for people under 21. The kind of clubs I'm into though, are the ones where they enforce a dress code, I love wearing my nice buttoned shirts and suit jackets/blazers. Because of that styling I guess I feel closer to home in the gay clubs, I dunno...

20. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

you sound like quite the closet case, who's just curious to know if your cover will be blown if you go to a gay club ;)

21. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Not sure what your experience is with going to gay clubs but they are fun, lively. A straight guy going isn't a problem though you may be hit on. Just end it by saying you're straight. If you think that anyone going means they are gay, you're wrong. I've gone several times with different girlfriends and groups and it's always fun. Loosen up. Pun intended.

22. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

i wasn't judging him based on the fact he goes to these clubs.. i was judging him on the fact he has non directly continued to reiterate that he is 100% not gay. why so important to include? why would someone's sexual preference have to be anyone else's problem?

23. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

It's so important to include because the whole point of his question is whether it's appropriate for a straight guy to go to a gay club. I'm assuming he'd like the opinions of the gay members of this board so it's a pretty important piece of information. In fact, it's the important piece of information for the question. If you don't have anything to add you can go ahead and venture into another thread where your immature accusations might fly.

Personally, I've never been to a gay club/bar. I'm not against the idea, but I would definitely need to go with a good group of friends to not feel overwhelmed socially.

24. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

It is entirely pertinent for him to state that he is straight since his question has to do entirely with whether it is acceptable for a straight man to go to a gay club.

25. Rapmastac1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Thanks for the defense guys, from what I gathered I only mentioned I was straight about four times. It is the big point of my question, I mean, look at the title - it's the first word!

From the gathering, it seems is pretty acceptable as no offense is really taken by my going. I can see, as long as I'm not bashing anyone there or going there with the intention of "crashing" the party, I'm pretty welcomed. I'm not sure how many other straight guys go because I don't really see them. Everyone is dancing with everyone so it's hard to tell, and I'm not going around asking for everyone's sexual orientation while I'm there - I just want to have some fun and get some stress off. Like that joke Dane Cook tells about guys going to the club just to dance, haha.