Is it only me or does anyone else think that the 2G iphone looks nicer compared to 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 251920, Jan 10, 2009.

1. 251920 macrumors member

And also, who has 2G and who switched to 3g?
    I bought my girlfriend a 16 Gb one, but I think that the alu 2G one is nicer(kinda more solid).
    Does anyone know if the cpu speed is different in the 2G and 3G Iphones?

2. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

All I know is that the reception is worse for the 2G because of the aluminum.

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

It is nicer and there is no difference in CPU speed between both phones

4. gjw4u macrumors 6502

I prefer the rounded and sleek shape of the newer 3G, compared to slightly edgy 2G aluminum iPhone.

5. davyreins macrumors 6502

I think the black strip on the bottom of the back seems kind of out of place on the 2g. But, I think both models look really nice

6. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

I agree. The 2g is classier than the plasticky 3g

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I prefer the 3G phone. I only wish I still had a 1st generation phone so I could use still have a GoPhone plan. I wish I would have kept one of the three 1st generations I had.

8. 251920 thread starter macrumors member

9. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I didn't have a 2G, but I liked the look of the 2G. When I held the 2G at the Apple Store, It wasn't as comfortable to hold as the 3G is, though. I would have liked to the 3G to have retained the aluminum, but use the same shape that the 3G currently has.

The aluminum didn't scratch as easily as the plastic on the 3G does. I just got my 3G 3 weeks ago, and it has been in a case since then (except when I clean the phone twice a day), and it still has gotten scratched.

So I would have liked the 3G to be Aluminum but with the curved back.

Don

10. doobi18 macrumors 6502

yep. looks nicer.

Apart from 3G & GPS, the iPhone 3G has nothing over the 1st Gen!

11. Jacqueclaude macrumors member

I think Apple really have ruined the iPhone with the bevel/rounded plastic.
    The first gen iPhone looked so much nicer.

...the looks of the 3g are actually making me reconsider buying one :/

12. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

No, the original phone rocks, and no, I do not intend to ever upgrade to 3G unless Apple makes another cosmetic change to the phone.

Jude

13. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

14. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Had the 2G since the launch, switched to the 3G as soon as I could. I prefer the looks and feel of the 3G to the 2G, it just feels much nicer in my hands.

15. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i never liked the look of the 2g, hated the aluminum and the weight that went along with it. i also never liked the black plastic strip on the bottom, and i hated how easily the phone dented. i'm much happier with the plastic shell. easier to hold, too.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I definitely like the look of my 2G phone much better. Yeah, a couple of dings are in it, but I like aluminum products better than anything plastic-like.

However, after checking out the signals in a store, I can wager that Apple won't go back to aluminum. The 3G's signal was definitely stronger. I haven't done the whole "feels better in your hand" test, but maybe the curved phone does. So I don't count on any aluminum-backed iPhones in the near future.

My hope is that Apple will start to offer multiple colors since there are NO accessories that work well with a case and I got sick of taking a case off to use a mount or dock.

17. klempwrsu macrumors member

klempwrsu

I like the curvy feel of the 3g, but i prefer aluminum over plastic. That will never happen though, due to all of the antennas inside

18. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

The 3G looks nicer, while the 2G feels more solid in the hand, imho.

19. Hardcoredan52 macrumors regular

I like the feel of the Black 3G.. but love the look of the aluminum back... But all aluminum back...

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

IMO the 2G both looks nicer and feels more solid than the 3G. The build quality is one reason I haven't upgraded.

21. iphoneCraze1080 macrumors newbie

I am with you on 2G iphone looking nicer compared to 3g [But thatz my personal opinion. My colleagues who either waited for the iphone 3g or shifted from iphone 2g think otherwise]

I definitely feel 2g build is better than the iphone 3g...Even the plastic part in the bottom part of the bacside looks more solid than the plastic part of the iphone 3g (again a lot of people think otherwise)

The CPU speed is the same in both 2G and 3G.

I would only go for the next iphone if they bring back the solid build. I agree with a lot of people on that the aluminium part hinders the quality of signal...but how come sony ericsson xperia x1a with premium metal body is able to get the signal part right. I am not comparing with the xperia x1a with the iphone...but just thinking apple has a way to get the signal part right even with the aluminium body. So hoping apple would come back to the aluminium back.

22. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

The 3G feels better in your hand, whilst the 2G is more square and blocky. I prefer the 3G overall.

23. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I have a 3g iPhone and I like the look and feel of the 2g one. I like the narrowness and metal. Having said that, when I tried the 3g, it was not as bad as I thiought. The unified look of one colour back is great and it doe feel nice in the hand. The speakers are way better too. I think the feature set overrides the small aesthetic differences.

24. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Yes, I like the 2G better. Plastic looks cheap.

25. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

The 2G has plastic.