Is it pointless for me to get a 13" rMBP just because of more desktop space?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kylera, Apr 8, 2015.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I've been eyeing a 13" rMBP now not because of the Retina screen, but because of the ability to have a larger desktop space than the Air. Would that defeat the purpose of getting a rMBP?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

No

Get what you want use it for what you want. Buy the tool that does what you want to do, for you that is the rMBP. You'll use scaling and have more space, you'll also have a more powerful computer with a much better screen. Thats just win win in my book.

3. newellj macrumors 603

Depends on your needs and work habits. For me, the answer is that it is definitely worthwhile. I have mine set to display the maximum workspace. The text may be on the small side for some, though.

4. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

It depends on what you are using your laptop for. What fits your needs. If a bigger screen is necessary then go with that. For me 11" is too small and 15" is too big. All of my window machines have always been 14" and 13". I enjoy that size that is how I made the decision to focus on 13" laptops. Also, the price point is very nice.

5. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

By maximum, do you mean the absolute maximum with the help of third-party apps, or the maximum from System Preferences?

6. newellj macrumors 603

Max setting with System Prefs ("more space" 2)

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

That's part of the point for a retina display: to be able to do just that.

8. NOT-A-FANBOY macrumors newbie

I'm running the display @ 1440x900 most of the times. Sometimes I switch to 1680x1050. Never using the retina resolution. No problems or lag whatsoever

9. newellj macrumors 603

Yeah, I should say that outside of heavy gaming I see absolutely no lag whatsoever on my rMBP (see sig). I mention that because there seem to be complaints about that circulating. The fault is not the hardware and it is not a Yosemite problem.

10. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

What do you mean by larger desktop space? More space on your computer screen?

That's not a compelling reason IMO