Is it pointless to buy an iPhone 4s or iPhone 5 with new iPhones out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 100, Oct 25, 2014.

1. 100 macrumors member

Just wondering, if there is still relevancy to buy out dated iPhones just because they are cheaper. I am thinking of upgrading my parts phones from ancient to iPhone but I don't think they can afford the iPhone 6 or even need it.

2. 617aircav Suspended

If you can't afford it then what voice do you have? Ask yourself what you use a phone for, and get one that fits those needs. It's not a must to have the latest phones, specially of finance is an issue.

3. ratbrain macrumors member

Really a matter of personal preference. I've used iPhones since 3GS.

If your looking to update to a less expensive model I would suggest either 5 generation model

5 definitely a minimum for LTE

If you want touch ID or care about security then go for 5S

If you want larger display size then your only choice is iPhone 6 / 6+

Just my 2 cents.

4. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I totally agree that it all depends on the person. My manager at work still uses a 3GS, I know a lot of my friend's parents are on iPhone 4 and similar 2010'ish smartphones.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

It's all a matter of balancing the value of a newer phone over an older phone against the value of whatever else you could do with the money.

If it's "buy an iphone 6 and not eat this week" type decision you need to look in the mirror and ask yourself "can I stand to lose some weight?" :p

Seriously, you're going to see a variety of answers. Which avenue is best though really boils down to your needs/wants and what you can afford. Rather tough for a bunch of anonymous internet forum strangers who don't know you to really advise which path is best for you.

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

If you can't afford it don't buy it! The iPhone is a luxury device, not a necessity.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well…two years on my 64GB iPhone 5 is still relevant and I still use it. Don't want the 6/6+ (fugly, no black) and the 5c was plastic (no black) and the 5s did not come in black either.

So, I will be with my iPhone 5 for a considerable while longer (at least until I move to T-Mobile).

8. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

IMO I wouldn't get 4S! If it's an option if go 5S but if not definitely a 5.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Have you even asked them if they want to upgrade to a smartphone? If they are happy with what they have and don't want/ won't use a smartphone why get one in the first place?

10. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I think it would be fine so long as the updates that come out supports the phone that you have.

11. 100 thread starter macrumors member

My parents are wanting something more relevant. They want to be able to FaceTime with us; send pictures with decent quality.. Etc

12. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

iPhone 5 onward is not a bad choice. I would avoid anything earlier.

13. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

We gave some 5C phones to the inlaws. They love them. Just a thought.

14. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

5/5c/5s are all fine phones (though with the caveat that you should avoid the 8 GB 5c model like the plague...16 GB is the barest minimum that's adequate for iOS firmware). I'm still on an iPhone 5 picked up a couple of months after launch--in fact, all of our entire extended family is using the 5, with the only exception being an iPhone app dev; he's upgraded to a 6+, of course.

The 5 series are great workhorses that take advantage of LTE speeds, do reasonably well on the latest firmware, and are probably good for another two years for many people. I wouldn't consider a 4 or 4s at this point, but the 5's are still very usable devices.

15. AverageBob macrumors member

I wouldn't buy 4s but 5 can give you at least another 2 years if you're ok with the small screen. I've tested it and it's really really smooth. Just don't update the OS anymore.

16. Delmar macrumors 6502

I bought & gave my sister a iPhone 5 for this same reason. She only uses it for the basics (phone calls, texts, emails & various apps) but really wanted to be able to FaceTime with us since we live in different parts of the country. The iPhone 5 & 5S are still very good capable iPhones.

17. Jazper macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't get the 4s, but the 5 is still a great phone - if you can get a 5s definitely pay the extra for it.

18. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

What is your cell service situation like? If current phone under contract and soon to expire, it's worth going with latest model under subsidy.

19. BensonTT macrumors regular

BensonTT

But iphone 5 is not black either.. lol

20. jackwills macrumors regular

jackwills

21. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

22. BensonTT macrumors regular

BensonTT

Looks more like a very dark blue to me... lol

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The case is. Black/Slate. Not Space Gray.

24. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

If either of those phones suit your needs then why not save some cash

25. CanadaEh macrumors regular