Is it pointless to buy an iPhone 4s or iPhone 5 with new iPhones out?

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
Just wondering, if there is still relevancy to buy out dated iPhones just because they are cheaper. I am thinking of upgrading my parts phones from ancient to iPhone but I don't think they can afford the iPhone 6 or even need it.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
If you can't afford it then what voice do you have? Ask yourself what you use a phone for, and get one that fits those needs. It's not a must to have the latest phones, specially of finance is an issue.

ratbrain

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
Really a matter of personal preference. I've used iPhones since 3GS.

If your looking to update to a less expensive model I would suggest either 5 generation model

5 definitely a minimum for LTE

If you want touch ID or care about security then go for 5S

If you want larger display size then your only choice is iPhone 6 / 6+

Just my 2 cents.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
I totally agree that it all depends on the person. My manager at work still uses a 3GS, I know a lot of my friend's parents are on iPhone 4 and similar 2010'ish smartphones.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
It's all a matter of balancing the value of a newer phone over an older phone against the value of whatever else you could do with the money.

If it's "buy an iphone 6 and not eat this week" type decision you need to look in the mirror and ask yourself "can I stand to lose some weight?" :p

Seriously, you're going to see a variety of answers. Which avenue is best though really boils down to your needs/wants and what you can afford. Rather tough for a bunch of anonymous internet forum strangers who don't know you to really advise which path is best for you.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Well…two years on my 64GB iPhone 5 is still relevant and I still use it. Don't want the 6/6+ (fugly, no black) and the 5c was plastic (no black) and the 5s did not come in black either.

So, I will be with my iPhone 5 for a considerable while longer (at least until I move to T-Mobile).

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
but I don't think they can afford the iPhone 6 or even need it.
Have you even asked them if they want to upgrade to a smartphone? If they are happy with what they have and don't want/ won't use a smartphone why get one in the first place?

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I think it would be fine so long as the updates that come out supports the phone that you have.

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
My parents are wanting something more relevant. They want to be able to FaceTime with us; send pictures with decent quality.. Etc

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Just wondering, if there is still relevancy to buy out dated iPhones just because they are cheaper. I am thinking of upgrading my parts phones from ancient to iPhone but I don't think they can afford the iPhone 6 or even need it.
We gave some 5C phones to the inlaws. They love them. Just a thought.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
5/5c/5s are all fine phones (though with the caveat that you should avoid the 8 GB 5c model like the plague...16 GB is the barest minimum that's adequate for iOS firmware). I'm still on an iPhone 5 picked up a couple of months after launch--in fact, all of our entire extended family is using the 5, with the only exception being an iPhone app dev; he's upgraded to a 6+, of course.

The 5 series are great workhorses that take advantage of LTE speeds, do reasonably well on the latest firmware, and are probably good for another two years for many people. I wouldn't consider a 4 or 4s at this point, but the 5's are still very usable devices.

AverageBob

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
I wouldn't buy 4s but 5 can give you at least another 2 years if you're ok with the small screen. I've tested it and it's really really smooth. Just don't update the OS anymore.

Delmar

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Texas
My parents are wanting something more relevant. They want to be able to FaceTime with us; send pictures with decent quality.. Etc
I bought & gave my sister a iPhone 5 for this same reason. She only uses it for the basics (phone calls, texts, emails & various apps) but really wanted to be able to FaceTime with us since we live in different parts of the country. The iPhone 5 & 5S are still very good capable iPhones.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I wouldn't get the 4s, but the 5 is still a great phone - if you can get a 5s definitely pay the extra for it.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
What is your cell service situation like? If current phone under contract and soon to expire, it's worth going with latest model under subsidy.

BensonTT

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Well…two years on my 64GB iPhone 5 is still relevant and I still use it. Don't want the 6/6+ (fugly, no black) and the 5c was plastic (no black) and the 5s did not come in black either.

So, I will be with my iPhone 5 for a considerable while longer (at least until I move to T-Mobile).
But iphone 5 is not black either.. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.