iPad Is it pointless to get an iPad Air when I have an iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ipos, Mar 30, 2014.

1. ipos macrumors 6502a

2. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I made that upgrade and have LOVED it. Glad I did.

3. B8ckwith macrumors newbie

B8ckwith

Yes it is. I still have my iPad 2 and it does everything what I need(Gaming, MS Office etc) . I am not even thinking of getting Air. Wait for the next iPad Generation and then may consider to purchase it.

4. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Umm. It completely depends what you use it for. I've got an iPad 3 in the house and a first gen Mini, and I love both of them. That being said, the Air is nice.

If your current iPad 3 does what you need it to do, then keep it. If you're looking for something substantially lighter, and a good bit faster. Then upgrade to the Air.

I wouldn't say it is pointless. The Air is faster (A7 vs A5), and lighter, and uses the newer lightning connector. They both run the same OS, same apps, and have the same display, and similar camera performance. So totally up to you.

5. ipos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mainly using it for surfing net, Reading emails.

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

Then save your money and wait until your iPad 3 fails.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Why ask others to make choices like these for you?

Only YOU should know.

8. Virinprew macrumors 6502

Get the Air and sell iPad 3. That is what I will do. :)

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Replaced my 3rd gen with an iPad Air. It's so much better.

10. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I will do the same.
    I been using my iPad Air since release month. My mom has the iPad 3. The iPad 3 is so much heavy and lags behind so much when I use it, rarely compared to the iPad Air. I would sell it and get the iPad Air...32gb

11. Rodster macrumors 68040

The OP never gave a reason for wanting an Air. If the OP had said I want an Air because it's lighter, thinner, slightly smaller, has stereo speakers, uses the lightning port, it has a 64 bit CPU, runs iOS 7 better than any other tablet, it will see iOS updates past iOS 8, those are all reasons to upgrade.

The OP never used the above as a reason to upgrade. So based on that I still say, save your money until the iPad 3 no longer functions.

12. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Use it until it drops... The iPad 3 is plenty for the functions you listed.

13. cynics macrumors G3

I had an iPad Air but returned it due to safari crashing which is pretty much fixed up with the latest iOS update.

So I went from a 3 to Air to 3.

I noticed a pretty significant speed increase and just much more powerful overall.

For example 3D fly over on an iPad 3 is pretty bad, choppy, slow etc. I'm actually surprised it was even released to the iPad 3. However it was nice and smooth on the Air.

You also get full graphic FX in higher end games that the 3 lacks.

Apps overall opened a bit faster, not enough to concern me however.

Significantly lighter. This made it nicer to use when laying down and holding it up.

For your uses I'd probably just wait unless you find a benefit in the lighter weight. That's what I've decided to do anyway, my uses don't justify more power and since to me it's basically the same ol' thing in a different package I'm going to wait for an iPad that has a feature that will benefit me.

14. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

15. Nipommu macrumors regular

i made that switch. i didn't regret but the air didn't feel like the "first time" purchase. no honeymoon phase. it just felt like i had it for a long time. you get used to the weight and thinness pretty quickly. the OS is same ol' and the feel is quite different yet pretty similar. i did see an improvement on speed tho, its snappier.

Thats about it. I didn't regret because I wanted something lighter and thinner. the extra cash i had to pay was worth it for me. but i can see why other people may not feel the same. it will never feel like the first purchase anymore...not with apple devices and i grew to accept that. the weight does make a difference for me tho.

16. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Why is everyone assuming he means switch from an iPad 3rd gen to an iPad Air? He said "Is it pointless to get ipad air when I have a ipad3". Perhaps he means is it pointless to get an iPad Air to have in addition to his 3rd gen iPad. In that case, yes, it is pointless.

17. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Also, it is 4x faster.

18. HenryDJP macrumors 603

For web surfing and emails I don't think four times faster really is going to matter. That's all OP will be doing with it.

19. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I was using my mom's iPad 3 for web browsing because my iPad was charging. I thought there was something wrong with our internet because websites were loading very slowly so I picked up my iPad 4 to check if it gets the same slowdown but nope, the pages were rendering a lot quicker on the iPad 4.

That's just the iPad 4. I reckon the iPad Air is an even more significant upgrade (although personally, I've never noticed a performance difference between the iPad 4/iOS 6 and iPad Air/iOS 7 when it comes to basic tasks). That said, if the slow rendering on the iPad 3 doesn't bother you, might as well save the funds for the next iteration that catches your fancy.

20. pdaholic macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

Someone actually uses 3D Flyover?!? Just kidding, of course.

I'm of the opinion that if you have the money to upgrade, do it. You can still get money for the iPad 3 that can be put toward the Air. I use my iPad 3 for pretty much the same stuff as the OP, and it's got more than enough power, it's just heavy. That said, my iPad 3 gets hardly any use since I got the retina Mini.

21. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Stay away from an Apple store. As nice as the 3 is, the Air' s weight loss will win you over.

22. cynics macrumors G3

Lol true. I was just using that for an example. When it first came out and I played with it I couldn't believe its terrible performance compared to the iPhone 4S (screen size vs horsepower). Regardless its a really good and easy way to see the performance difference since its night and day.

23. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Yes. Wait until they release a model with more RAM than the current 1Gig on the new 64Bit CPU.

You have MORE effective RAM on your 32-bit iPAD3 than the brand spanking new, two generations later, 64-bit CPU in the air.

Sad, ain't it. :mad:

But in reality. If you have held off this long, you would be much happier knowing that your next version will last as long as your current iPad has. And I am VERY confident that the next iteration of the iPAD will have a longer life than the current Air does - Due 100% to the RAM.

24. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Well now that's speculation. Seeing as the air has the new 64 bit architecture one would think Apple wouldve put in 2GB of ram especially since the Air is a whole redesign from the original iPad, but they didn't. In fact, unless they raise the price I'm not too keen in believing they will offer the fingerprint sensor, more ram as well as various other upgrades. As usual Apple will cut a corner somewhere which is common for most companies.