Resolved Is it possible for my 6+ to have downloaded the iPhone 6 version of iOS8?

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Reason I ask is because when I go to text or e-mails and go to landscape mode, my messages don't show up in the two column way they're supposed to. (contacts/sender on left, and messages on right)-- rather, they just show up like they would on any other device where it's a page full of contacts, tap on contact and see a whole page of messages.

Also, my home screen won't rotate in any direction.

I've restarted my phone multiple times. I downloaded iOS8.1 at my school on spotty Wi-Fi that kept cutting in and out. It just seems like it's exactly how iOS 8.1 should be on any other of the devices, but I'm on a 6+.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Your iPhone will only download and install the version of iOS designed for it. It will not download or install a version that is not designed for it.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Your iPhone will only download and install the version of iOS designed for it. It will not download or install a version that is not designed for it.
That's what I figured, but not sure why it won't give me the 6+ features then.?
It's working on other 6+ who have updated to 8.1

SlasherKG

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
OP, do you have "Zoomed" mode on?

If so, this will disable the enhanced modes from what I've found.

To check and/or disable it:

Settings > Display & Brightness > View
Set to "Standard" and you should get he enhanced view in apps that support it (Settings, Messages and Mail for example).

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
OP, do you have "Zoomed" mode on?

If so, this will disable the enhanced modes from what I've found.

To check and/or disable it:

Settings > Display & Brightness > View
Set to "Standard" and you should get he enhanced view in apps that support it (Settings, Messages and Mail for example).
Tadaaaaa
no wonder!
I switched between the two a few times in 8.0 and I guess that's what it was. I could have sworn it was rotating before the update, though, but maybe I'm crazy.

Another mystery solved!
Thank you!