Is it possible for the next iPhone to have a camera as

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Aug 8, 2012.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Good as a DSLR style ones? like very close to it. I know it won't have 20MP or 120FPS but I just hope for a photograph it will look great.

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

The current iPhone camera is already pretty good. Like I've said many times before, megapixels mean nothing if the optics are garbage.

3. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

While technology is progressing quickly, we won't see dSLR quality anytime soon in a phone. Optics are the issue there - you can't squeeze that kind of lens quality in a small package.

With that said, iPhone cameras are basically good enough for most people. I can't imagine what more you'd want in a point-and-shoot over what the 4s offers.

4. ChristianJapan, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

As mentioned before: the opictal system and the size of the sensor are the limits. In a combination as today in our phone you will not achieve something like a DSLR. Deepth of field is too big; you will not get a nice blurred background. Also pixel size and noise is an issue on the little sensors. You would need to fix that in post processing. But still not the same.

5. cameronjpu macrumors 65816

No. Physics demands that there be a larger distance between the lens and the "film" to create better pictures. Phones can fake it through tricky software, but there no replacement for actual large sensors that can accept tons of light. Phones can't fit that.

6. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Given that, unlike, say, Nokia, Apple has never been particularly good at inventing some kick-ass camera hardware, I really don't think there'll be anything comparable to Nokia PureView in iPhone 5. Unfortunately...

7. joelhietala macrumors newbie

joelhietala

You know, people always pull the PureView card in discussions like this! But really, it's not that good! 41 MPIX, yay. No. And Nokia made a stupid move by stuffing it in a Symbian phone.

8. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

1. It IS good. Read the DPReview, GSMArena or the EOSHD review?

2. Nokia had no other choice, other than waiting another year with the release, now, with WP8. WP7(.5) simply doesn't support the hardware, which has been custom-developed for Symbian in the last 5 years.

9. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

What they really should do is get rid of that oldschool pos led "flash", bring xenon like the old sony phones from the K series.

10. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I second this.

11. Cod3rror, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012

Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Not likely, I doubt phone cameras will match a midrange DSLR that is out now for the next 10 years, if ever, a lot depends on the optics, as they say, there is no replacement for displacement, a phone has a very limited space.

N8, 808 PureView take really good pictures, 808 comes close to a DSLR in daylight and look at it's size.