Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicklaus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Winter Park
i don't know how they made the display so great but now I really want it on my iPad and on my desktop. Is the technology that gives a resolution that high limited in size to small screens right now?

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
i don't know how they made the display so great but now I really want it on my iPad and on my desktop. Is the technology that gives a resolution that high limited in size to small screens right now?

It's possible Apple will roll it out for the next iPad, I don't think it'll make it to their computers.

dougbrowne

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007

I lol'd.

The resolution isn't particularly high, but it's high for such a small screen. My monitor has about 3x the res of the retina display rofl. Plus, the current iPad screen has a higher res than the retina display.

dwarnecke11

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2009
I think it would be a good idea - particularly with reading text and playing games. But a Retina display? The resolution would approach that of the 27" iMac to have that kind of ppi.

I think a 1600x1200 9.7" screen would strike a nice balance, provided Apple can maintain the zippy interface and strong battery life of the current iteration.

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
meh, Apple isn't known for huge upgrades like that. Like someone else said, more pixels = more power. The iPad is already sort of heavy in your hand and they'd have to make the battery a lot bigger to have similar battery life, which would make the iPad even heavier, which a lot of people wouldn't want...a much more likely prediction for the next iPad would be an HD display, either 720p or 1080p.

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
No chance. Consider that as well as needing lots of battery power it would need enourmous graphics and CPU performance to produce a game at that resolution.
As people said, a 9.7" display with a 27" iMac resolution. Just too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.