Is it possible my rear glass panel is defective?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brettka7, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Brettka7 macrumors regular

My iPhone 4 is still pretty nice. I only put a bumper on it when I go to school or work, otherwise it's naked. My front glass is flawless as far as I can see, but my rear glass has picked up over 10 long (~1 inch) scratches in a month. Yes it's naked, but never touching any surfaces that should scratch glass, and it is never dragged on surfaces to create one-inch scratches. It's not something I would complain to Apple about, just wondering what you think about only ONE side of the phone scratching?

2. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Seems to me the back as more "abuse" than the front.

Abuse isn't the right word, But still.

3. psonice macrumors 6502a

Maybe check your pockets. If you're like me, you slide the phone into the same pocket regularly, and usually the same way round. If there's a little bit of something sharp caught in there it could do that.

4. climber20 macrumors member

When I had my iPhone 4, I had the same problem. Even though I babied the phone, the rear glass would occasionally pick up scratches for no apparent reason while the front remained pristine the entire time I owned the phone without ever using a screen protector. After about a month carrying the phone naked, I got a slim case that covered the back glass, and I didn't get any more scratches after that.

I'm convinced the back glass is made from a slightly different material from the front glass. I would think that whatever was in my pockets scratching up the back glass would have by this point at least caused one tiny scratch on the front glass, but that hasn't been the case.

5. OnEMoReTrY macrumors member

When you put your phone down on a table do you put it down face first or back first, nuff said. Glass is glass. Glass scratches.