Is it possible once I get my iPhone 4 to put my 3GS on another line WITHOUT data?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by christall109, Jun 16, 2010.

1. christall109 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

So right now we have a family plan with AT&T. Is it possible to give my 3GS to my dad on his line WITHOUT the data plan?

I realize that I signed a 2 year data contract, but isn't that just for my line?

I want to do this for my dad for fathers day.

2. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

No iPhone can be used on an AT&T line without a data plan. The good news is that you can choose the $15/mo plan for that phone.

3. army91c macrumors 6502a

4. Wolfmore macrumors member

Wolfmore

Yes, you can...all your doing is taking out SIM from your Dads phone and putting it into the iPhone 3gs. Try it just for kicks. What's the problem with that? You don't tell AT&T thought ...as far as they know nothing has changed. This is not a problem I'm doing something close to this but reverse. Got my mom a blackberry curve back when data was not required and sold it and gave her a new flip phone I bought on eBay for $25. Simple as that you just swapping Sim card. Of couse there will be features that won't work like visual mail but you will be able to Check voicemail mail via the call in way as if it was a flip phone. I would recommend you block things you don't want accidentally accessed like internet for example. Cause you'll get charged per use but you can go in or call AT&T and say you want those services blocked.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can try but sooner or later AT&T is gonna detect he's using an iphone without a data plan and will automaticly add it to his bill.

6. Wolfmore macrumors member

Wolfmore

OK looks like maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. It may not be as easy as just swapping Sims. Looks like iPhone are "special" and At&t will know and charge you.

http://www.sinfuliphone.com/archive/index.php/t-18908.html

If it is possible looks like you have to get into jailbreaking and something about APN editing and IMEI faking. Over my head sorry.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

There's a couple of ways to avoid it, but they have varying drawbacks.
    For all methods, you'll have to jailbreak and install SBsettings. There's a setting to turn off data, since you're implying your dad won't be using the data part of the phone.

Method 1-Around billing time, your dad inserts his SIM into a non-smartphone and uses that for a few days before and after the start of the billing cycle. Some people have success with this method.

Method 2-Your dad gets off the family plan and gets a pay as you go card. You will have to unlock the phone as well.

Method 3-Your dad moves to T-Mobile. You'll need to unlock first.