Is it possible that I've got some sort of Trojan on my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dogegg, Jun 25, 2010.

1. dogegg macrumors member

I've received three e-mails telling me that messages I'd tried to send had failed, except that I didn't send these messages. The three e-mails were to contacts in my contacts list but were spam for a Canadien pharmaceutical company.

I use Google mail, through Mail on OSX, and they suspended my account temporarily for doing this.

Have I got some sort of Trojan on my beloved MacBook Pro? I didn't think there were any in existence for OSX.

Any advice please.

2. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

If your mail has a webmail client (aka, you can log in through a browser), I think it's more than likely someone simply hacked into the account.

I dont think it was your computer that allowed the vulnerability of the account to be exposed, more likely a breach in security through online forms, or even leaving oneself logged in on a somewhat public terminal (even a friend's computer).

Try to change the login info and see if it stops (once the account is back online). If not, then explore the possibilities of a Trojan.

3. dogegg thread starter macrumors member

I've changed my password so hopefully that will solve it.

I never check my e-mails through the browser or on a public computer, only ever on my IPhone or through Mail.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So you received emails telling that the emails you were trying to send were not sent? Have you asked have the contacts received that kind of email? There are so many junk mails going on with new techs so I wouldn't be worried. To get a Trojan, you need to install it and inert admins pass so unless you have installed something suspicious lately, it's very unlikely that it's a Trojan

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Have you recently:

Gone onto sites even when you were warned that the website may harm your computer?

Downloaded torrents?

Downloaded an application from a 3rd party source?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you haven't updated Adobe Viewer in awhile, you can likely still get that pdf trojan which will send out spam on your account.

Might want to scan your entire drive using something like ClamXav, or one of the other free virus programs.

7. dogegg thread starter macrumors member

No and no

Don't download torrents for this reason

8. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

This exact same thing just happened to my Gmail. My account was suspended, and I received delivery failure notice e-mails. Gmail picks up that you are spamming your contact list and blocks the spam from going out, and then they block your account.

I'm still trying to figure out how my password was comprimised. The only thing I can think of is I used my iPhone wifi on an open wifi network at the Apple store in Toronto and also at the CN Tower. Do you think someone could have snagged my e-mail credentials out of the air like that?

That, or my account was just hacked into with some form of brute force password cracker.

The nice thing about Gmail is that they instantly disabled my account until I could verify that I owned the account by alternate means. Also, Gmail shows you where your last few logins were from, and at the time of the hacking, my account had been logged into from Portugal! I live in Canada.

Anyone else experience something like this recently?

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Good, because those are the major things that get crap and viruses onto your computer. I've resisted those and I haven't gotta virus yet :cool:

One other thing... Have you opened email attachments from addresses you don't know? And have you updated Abode PDF viewer recently?

10. dogegg thread starter macrumors member

I've opened attachments to funnies but always from somebody who I know.
    I could have updated Adobe as been having a few updates recently but can't specifically remember.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Has to be version 9.3 or newer, if you have 8.x and hit update inside Adobe Reader 8 it won't update to the newest version.

Just take a look Adobe Reader.app to see where you are.

12. patrixl macrumors regular

anyone can easily fake the From: address when sending an email. Nothing new there, it's a typical spammer tactic these days (was way more prevalent last year, or maybe google just filters it properly for me now). So they use your mail address (and mine, and Joe's, and Sally's, etc) to send their spam, and of course some of it is bound to bounce back - and what's the return address? Yours of course, so you get the bounce message.

Now if your account got frozen due to this, there may be another issue going on, otherwise though it's typical spam and nothing to worry about.

Patrix.