Is it possible that my USB 2.0 outlets on my rMBPro are actually 3.0?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by twilexia, Nov 26, 2015.

1. twilexia macrumors 6502

I'm just curious - when I connect an external USB drive to my MBPro's 2.0 USB outlets, I get a read of 93.2 MB/s and a write of 32.7 MB/s, basically getting the same as my iMac's 3.0 outlets. My understanding was the theoretical maximum of USB 2.0 is 480 Mbp/s or 60 MB/s. Is it possible that the "about this mac" information is wrong?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

All rMBPro have USB 3.0 bus available on the USB ports.
    If you plug in a USB 3.0 device, you get USB 3.0 speeds. Well, at least the potential of those speeds.
    If you go to your MBPro System Information, then the USB tab, you will see that there is USB 3.0 bus available.
    The speed that actually get is dependent on the device that you have plugged in to the port.

So, yes your USB ports are USB 3.0 - - Or, USB 2.0 - or, USB 1.1
    The difference is which devices you have plugged in.

3. twilexia thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, thanks. I was getting worried since I had to have one of the USB ports repaired last year and thought the guys at the Apple store might have replaced it with a 2.0 Bus for laughs.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

For laughs? You mean for a joke of some kind?
    Why would you think that a busy service shop might take the time to play a joke on you?
    The port (where you plug in your USB device) is only the connection. The bus is inside, controlled by the logic board chipset. The modification to change USB 3.0 out to USB 2.0 could not be done at a service shop level. They would simply change out the complete logic board for a broken USB connector. The bus itself is not affected, and connects to whatever USB type is attached.
    You were concerned about something that is not possible.

5. twilexia thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not really a tech person, so when I saw the 2.0 USB bus on my system report I feared the worst. But I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Good enough, but you have nothing to worry about.
    The System Report just shows that there is a USB 2.0 bus. You would also see there is a USB 3.0 bus.
    Again, the bus (and speed) used depends on the device that is connected.