Is it possible to add names to locations in "Frequent Locations"?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by neoelectronaut, Sep 27, 2013.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

I'm looking at Frequent Locations, and it's rather neat to see where I've been and when.

Is it possible to add location names to either area? It seems to correlate my home address from my contacts with "home", but it isn't picking up my workplace for some reason.

I'd love to be able to name restaurants and shopping areas and whatnot as well.

2. yogibeartacodog macrumors member

I can't say for sure, but maybe try adding the location to your contacts. Mine seems to be picking up on both my "home" and "work". Still waiting for it to begin estimating travel time to locations. I had a setback, as I just received my 5s yesterday and it looks like Frequent Locations don't restore from backup.

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I wish the frequent locations had an option to let it look at where you are more frequently. Mine shows only 2 locations and I have yet to see the traffic info in notifications.

4. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I thought it was kind of creepy at first...

5. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Well you can always switch it off.

6. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

Per Apple, frequent locations data always stay on the device, and is never sent to Apple unless you decide to opt-in to "help apple improve their maps."

This is the only reason I've even been giving it a try, because I don't really need the phone to figure out a 30 minute drive should take about 30 minutes, and if I leave early enough, then I still don't have to worry too much about arriving late to someplace anyway. I'll probably let it build a little more history to see how it learns and behaves, then delete all the history and turn it all off.

7. DucMike macrumors member

DucMike

Pretty sure if you have the destination address in your contacts, the phone automatically adds the name. Mine is showing "Home" & "Work", but nothing else on the other destinations.

8. cosmic68 macrumors 6502

cosmic68

I wish my home would actually show up! It shows me visiting work and other places but not my home...any ideas why that might be?

9. DucMike macrumors member

DucMike

Do you have your home address in your contacts list? I have a listing for myself, and a "home" entry as well.

10. cosmic68 macrumors 6502

cosmic68

Hi, thanks. Under my details in my contacts (my card) I have my work and home address entered. I don't have a separate entry for home-I'd be surprised if that's the problem. Is that what you meant?

11. odin macrumors member

Your card should be sufficient. Give it a bit more time and it should just show up. Mine shows home but no where else yet.

12. cosmic68 macrumors 6502

cosmic68

No dice. It just won't report me at home. Everywhere else (even if visit once). Whats that about? :confused:

13. odin macrumors member

I've had 3 to test and have been looking since I posted before. None of them show new home location marks for about a day or so. I found that a bit odd. It's like you have to leave the area a good amount and then go back. (The ones that show up for me are normally at least 5 miles.) Then, I checked immediately and nothing. Only the next day did things show up.

I know that doesn't help you since things aren't showing at all; but, the whole system, at least what I've found, is rather mysterious. I hope you get it figured out soon. If I find anything I'll post.

14. cosmic68 macrumors 6502

cosmic68

Cheers buddy.

It's not the end of the world if I don't get it working, but if you find anything out-let me know. Would've been nice to see it all happen. I spend far too much time at home anyway! Don't need my iPhone to rub it in!

15. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

So in contacts, do you hv a listing that says 'work'? Mine just listed the name of my business, but nothing that actually says 'work'. Does anyone have this set up differently?

I'm just wondering if this makes a difference, because I have never had traffic info appear in notification center.

16. hafr macrumors 68030

Is it possible to see all the locations on the same map?

17. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

It would be helpful if Apple posted a tutorial on this topic. So many people have issues/questions.

18. cosmic68 macrumors 6502

cosmic68

Yes, my work in my contact is under "work" and my home under "home", but don't use my example as the way forward as i've not had a report of me being home in locations, but do for work. Never had a traffic update.

19. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

My home is listed as 'home'. But my work is listed as the name if my business. Is there some other way people are setting it up??

20. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Frequent locations is following me around quite accurately; it has recorded time spent at "home" (correctly identifying where I live) and also my companies' offices in Nottingham and Manchester (my business address is the Nottingham office, which is on my Contact card in iOS as "work", so it has labelled that as "work", correctly, and it has shown the correct address of the Manchester office).

Most awesomely, it has identified I've been to watch my favourite Football Team (I am a season ticket holder) at home twice since installing iOS7, and now, I see "Nottingham Forest Football Club" in Frequent Locations, which is just clever!

21. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Although I have the contacts labeled, it doesn't show work/home in the frequent locations