Is it possible to allow others to access my airport Extreme's drive via the internet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by elgrecomac, Mar 14, 2009.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

I have read the threads about my accessing the USB drive on my Airport Extreme via an AFP connection...and it works. Without a hitch. BUT....

I would like to allow others (who are not on my home network) to access this same drive (with some level of security). Is THAT possible and if so, how? I have 2 partitions on this HD, one is a mac-formatted partition and the other is a FAT32 for PC user access. Or course, each partition has a unique name so, depending on the user, they would access either the Mac or PC formatted partition.

BTW, I did some thread-checking but all seem to find are one's that show how to I can make a connection to my own drives away from the home, NOT someone who is not associated with my home network to make the same connection to the USB drive on my APE.

Thank you, in advance.

2. elgrecomac thread starter macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Well...

Does ANYONE have an answer to this question? Surprised no one has responded thus far given the depth of knowledge on this board....

:confused:

3. elgrecomac thread starter macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Fixed my own problem

So here is how it is done if you want a PC users to access the USB drives on your Airport Extreme.

1. Start up the APE Utility software
    2. Set the APE up with WAN sharing of the USB drives, and take note of the admin user ID and password for the APE and also the APE's iP address.
    3. Go to a PC not on your network and open up 'My Computer"
    4. In the address line in "My Computer" type in

\\XXX.XXX.XXX substituting the X's for your APE's IP address

5. you will get prompted for the admin user ID and password for the APE. This may take a few seconds so be patient.

6. You should now have access to the drives

---> This will work best if you have a STATIC IP for your APE.
    Cool!

4. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

If you don't have a static IP you can use a DNS hosting service to track the changes of your IP.

I use:
    http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/