Is it possible to back up my iMac and then individually select what to put back after a reset?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by streetfoldsfive, Mar 8, 2016.

1. streetfoldsfive macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

Hey all,

So recently my late 2012, full specd out fusion drive imac has been slowing to a crawl. It isn't a lack of RAM, since I monitor that always.

I want to try restoring the computer to factor and starting from scratch. However, I wanted to know if there is a way to back up my iMac to my hardrive and then only put back the stuff I want after I factory reset.

restoring like normal would put all the junk I don't want back.

Thanks in advanced for all the help!

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I kind of did this recently - I didn't restore when I bought my new Mac I selectively moved items from the old mac to the new one. You could kind of take this approach by moving docs/photos/music/etc to an external device and then moving them back. It was a bit more work but I thought it was worth it.

3. streetfoldsfive thread starter macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

I was considering this method, but it has me concerned that i'll end up missing something important.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Of course, you can do this using time machine or carbon copy cloner. There is even a migration assistant that allows you to choose what to migrate accross.

5. austintg macrumors member

austintg

Yep super easy! This is how I do it every time. I backup with Time Machine, install new SSD, load the latest OS at the Apple Store Genius Bar in like 5 mins, hook up the external and go into the folders to transfer over what I want. It's a billiant and clean way to do it. They've left the backups navigable and hope they keep it that way.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote:
    "I want to try restoring the computer to factor and starting from scratch. However, I wanted to know if there is a way to back up my iMac to my hardrive and then only put back the stuff I want after I factory reset."

Sure, you can do this.

However, I would suggest the best way to handle the "old data" (what's on your drive now) would be to create a bootable cloned backup using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

Either of these will create a "finder-mountable" volume that you can easily copy from.
    One file, a group of files, a folder, group of folders, etc.

Just keep handwritten notes as you go along...

7. streetfoldsfive thread starter macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

So just create a regular time machine back up? That will let me go into every file individually?

8. FreemanW macrumors 6502

So this "slowing to a crawl" symptom. Tell us more. You say "full specd out fusion drive" which means a 3TB Fusion drive iMac.

You did have the 3TB Seagate hard disk drive replaced, didn't you? Because, unresponsive, lethargy, locking up, Beach Ball, . . . . all of those would indicate a FAILING hard disk drive.

Have you run Disk Utility or the Full Apple Diagnostics against your unit?

I've a late 2012 27" 3TB Fusion unit, drive replaced under Apple Recall, over 1TB used in storage, 32GB of system memory, just as snappy as the day I turned it on.

9. streetfoldsfive thread starter macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

Sorry I shouldn't have said full specd. I have the 1TB fusion, i7, with 2GB graphics. I've fun disk utility and diagnostics and got nothing.

10. austintg macrumors member

austintg

Yes it absolutely will. If you'd like I can post photos of the file paths. But it is very very simple.