Is it possible to buy a MBP from America and ship it to New Zealand?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weenerdog, Oct 20, 2010.

1. weenerdog macrumors member

I live in New Zealand and was looking at Amazon. I did a little conversion.

2.4ghz i5 15" costs $1711.99 in US Dollars which equates to $2,274.54 NZ Dollars after a currency conversion.

That same MBP costs $3000 from the NZ Apple store! :eek:

If I could somehow order one from the US, I could save $700 NZ Dollars!

So, my question is, is it possible to order a MBP from the US and have it shipped to NZ? Does anyone know a retailer that does that or is it impossible?

2. xacimo macrumors newbie

You could try tosh computers. They import straight from the US for discounted prices. They give you a NZ power cord too.

3. pyroza macrumors regular

4. weenerdog thread starter macrumors member

Tosh doesn't provide any real discount. Ebay however looks promising but a bit dodgy. I'm not sure who to trust on that site and I imagine if my MBP was faulty or broke under warranty the hassle of trying to contact the dealer would be a nightmare. What do you guys think? Any other ideas?

5. Apple NZ macrumors member

I would go for a local reseller ie. JB Hifi, Noel Leeming, Dick Smith etc. Warranty claims are easier that way and you are covered by the Consumer Guarantees Act (covers goods for a "resonable" amount of time meaning you could argue that your MBP should be covered for 5 years or something like that).

You will also receive your goods straight away and can easily exchange if broken or if you don't like as these stores tend to have more flexible return policies.

These resellers often sell MBPs below RRP. For example JB Hifi almost always has about $50 off RRP. Dick Smith has their up to 15% off Apple Computers sale every couple of months. They will usually have such a sale the weekend after they receive new Macs so maybe next weekend if they get the new MBAs.

I remember once Dick Smith had 10% off Macs and Noel Lemming followed by offering 11% off Macs :eek:

I wouldn't be concerned about the cheaper prices in the US, NZ just has more taxes I guess, it's just something we have to put up with :(. And even if you buy from overseas, you will probably be charged GST by Customs.

6. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

And shipping for something of a MBPs size and value is definitely not cheap.
    In the end you might end up paying slightly less, but like AppleNZ said, if you buy here you are covered by the Consumer Guarantees Act, and even that little peace of mind is worth that little extra in my opinion.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm sure you can, but if you ever have to get warranty service, your computer will have to go back to the US. Also remember that the listed US prices don't include tax so the price will go up some because of that.

8. weenerdog thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. It just bugs me how much they cost here. I'm going to have to get a 13" because that's all I can afford.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Unless it's changed in the last few years, the warranty is international. I had no trouble whatsoever with getting my US-purchased MBP fixed here under warranty in 2007.

It's $2607 excluding GST. As mentioned above, the US prices don't include tax so you need to remove GST from the NZ price in order to make a fair comparison.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I love New Zealand....I miss it and Ive only been there once :( I loved how the subways have lamb subs :D

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well that's good to know, I've never had to get my computer fixed outside of the US, I know that on some other electronic devices I have the warranty is only good in the US, so I figured it was the same for macs.

12. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Another thing to be careful of is any possible customs duties. I am not familiar with NZ customs rules but it is possible some international shipments could get charged.

13. iRacer macrumors member

Agreed - keep an eye on local resellers - DSE had the 13" MBP at NZ$1799 a few weeks ago - that's ed pricing for retail.

DSE have them at the moment for NZ$1899, JB Hifi - $1868 (they have been this price for a couple of months now. If you're in Akl try The Good Guys, they match any local price and if you see it cheaper within 30 days of purchase, they refund the difference plus an extra 20% on top - worked for me.

If you want to buy from overseas - check out the prices from Hong Kong

14. weenerdog thread starter macrumors member

15. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

16. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Their feedback looks pretty good...just look at the feedback reviews and it may help your decision

17. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

remember that the US site doesn't list taxes. maybe that accounts for the difference?

18. jdaniel macrumors 65816

19. Ian.C macrumors regular

20. DMKMD macrumors newbie

Your other option would be to purchase from a large electronics store with a good reputation like B & H, or Adorama both based in New York. I have dealt with them for years. I don't know if they charge salestax on items being shipped outside the country, but its worth a try. They are super reliable and give great service. You should also check with them about the warranty.