Is it possible to buy Verizon iPhone 4 then sell it? *Read Description Please*

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spamx101, Jun 17, 2011.

1. spamx101 macrumors newbie

Is it possible to upgrade to the Verizon iPhone 4 16GB White, activate it and get the $30 data contract (since im forced with all smart phones), then go home go on website then activate an old flip phone (thus deactivating the iPhone), which I could now sell to someone else and they could now activate and use it? Would activating the old phone cancel the $30 data contract since its no longer a smart phone? Thanks in advance!

2. tnisatard macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure Verizon requires smartphone users to pay at least 6 months for their data plan.

3. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

Is this for purposes of retaining the UL data plan for when the next iPhone iteration arrives? (e.g., Am I interpreting your intent correctly?)

4. spamx101 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I always see people selling iPhones for $500 up so I figured if I used one of my upgrades (multiple lines) to get an iPhone, then deactivate it, I could potentially buy for $200 sell for $500+ and make a $300+ profit but I want to make sure I can do all that I mentioned just like that without violating any terms, if I'm allowed or can as ex: what tnisatard said, he thinks Verizon might require 6 months (can anybody verify this?) and without getting stuck with the data plan that I don't need/want. Thanks!

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't have Verizon but I'm pretty sure you can do this. I would call to make sure though.

6. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

Ah, gotcha.

Good idea if you can pull it off. I've no clue if it can be done, so as wordoflife said above -- give VZW a call.

7. spamx101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Still looking if anyone can give more insight or verify this though. But the reason I post here is to avoid contacting Verizon at least not yet. Why would I reveal part of this "taking advantage" scheme to them? Haha

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They don't really care, they'll get their money through you staying with them for another 2 years.
    Just ask them, "If I lose my iPhone, can I activate my LG Chocolate and remove the iPhone data plan?"

9. spamx101 thread starter macrumors newbie

ahhh that is true and good idea about the workaround question! thanks! still looking for some people that can verify all of this or preferably someone who has even done this before I do anything

10. Stinkypalm macrumors member

I've done this. No big deal. Just activate and deactivate on the same day so it doesn't pro rate the data plan. The line will have a 2 year commitment with the old phone in my case a pink razor phone lol. :D

11. pyro008 macrumors 6502

If they were "losing money" on people reselling subsidized phones, would they really keep offering the same subsidies?

They won't care if you're reselling the phone you get for a modest profit because you:
    A) lock yourself in for 2 more years, and
    B) use the subsidy they offered, which means if you want to buy another phone from them because yours breaks or something, you will have to pay the full price which is like $300+ on non smartphones.

There may be some sort of policy as someone said about being locked into data for a certain amount of time, but to find this out you don't really need all the subterfuge. You could tell them your exact plans and ask if they would work if you wanted to.

12. spamx101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha thanks so I can definately get rid of the data plan? I don't have to have it for a certain amount of time as pyro008 thinks?

And pyro008 that is true didn't look at it that way yea they really would still be making a profit I definately will ask them later now I just want to find out about the data contract.

13. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

There's always someone trying to beat the system. People come on to a public forum to ask if something like this can be done.

Sure it can be done, is it the right thing to do?

I guess if your the kind of person that looks for short cuts and ways to get over, then your going to rationalize this is an OK thing to do. It's not.

I am certain of one thing, you are not abiding by the terms of the contract you sign.

There's no way around the facts here, your trying to get over on Verizon and if your that hard up for a couple of hundred bucks, well, go for it dude you probably do these kinds of things all the time.

While you may be profiting in the short term, in the long term, no matter how you look at it and no matter what anyone here says, its still dishonest and its still a scam.

Stunts like this is why carriers become more stringent with their plans and prices go up, and in the end, everyone suffers as a result.

But hell, that shouldn't even be a consideration for you, don't even give it a second thought, because you need to make a quick buck.

Good Luck with that!

14. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

How is selling the phone dishonest and a scam? The contract is for an time period they will remain a customer and not which phone they use. Even when I signed up with Verizon they said I'm free to change my plan as needed (add or subtract features). Maybe I missed something in the thread but don't see how this is a scam.

15. spamx101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, yes I respect your opinion and it's perfectly understandable, but this is a different situation. Verizon is STILL MAKING MONEY as described by previous helpful people on here which is why they don't care. Because I have to have contract for another 2 years. And the ONLY reason I even thought of considered this is because of the hundreds and thousands of iPhones being sold everyday on sites like Ebay with people probably doing the same thing haha

16. tp1 macrumors newbie

You can, but it will be much cheaper.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Okay, you said you had multiple lines. Do you have a smartphone with a data plan right now?

If so, then as long as you keep that data plan, you're fine.

1) Go online(*) and transfer the upgrade to your current smartphone line with the data plan.

2) Get the upgrade phone, then activate on that line once to seal the deal when it comes.

3) Go back to using your original smartphone on that line.

4) Sell the new phone.

(*) Anyone who's on Verizon and hasn't set up their online account should do so. You can keep track of everything, change plans when you wish without extending your contract, move upgrades around, etc. Plus by setting up a PIN, you can switch phones over the air anytime you wish.

18. spamx101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys this is an update, I just successfully got the iPhone, deactivated it, reactivated old flip phone, and got rid of the $30 data contract. Now a person is coming right now via craigslist to buy it. After this deal hopefully goes through I can say that all of this worked and can be done. =)

For people who are thinking about the same thing or something similar this is what I did:

I went to the Verizon store and told them I want to upgrade the flip phone (which is eligible for an upgrade) to get a 16GB iPhone White. This deactivated the flip phone, activated the iPhone and of course was forced to add the $30 data feature. After, I went home and went on my account on the Verizon Wireless website. Through a series of menus I proceeded to reactivate the old flip phone using the HEX ESN. Surprisingly in the process of doing so it even automatically removed the $30 data feature! I did not even have to take it off myself! I went through the process and successfully reactivated the old flip phone and now have a deactivated iPhone ready to sell. =)

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    One thing to remember, is that whenever you get an upgrade, the line that is used is automatically extended for another two year contract. Leaving early is subject to the usual ETF.

For those of us who keep the same carrier for years, this is of course no big deal at all, and well worth the upgrades.

20. forcetactic macrumors 6502

I would have just waited for the next iPhone to get a few extra $100s unless you needed the money now

21. spamx101 thread starter macrumors newbie

ahhh true.. i did not think of this but i do have 2 other lines eligible for upgrade (family members that don't really care) so I could still use those for iPhone 5 =D

22. pyro008 macrumors 6502

I don't understand how you can do this...my phones are usually just about shot after 2 years. :( My LG Rumor 2 only made it ~22 months so I need to get by on my old A900M til the SGS2 or iPhone5.

23. Stinkypalm macrumors member

Told ya it was simple process!! My Pink Razor is a beast LOL :D

24. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

gahhh reading stuff like this makes me wish i got an iphone. i got a blackberry in late february when the iphone was sold out. first BB had data transmitting problems even though the VZW store rep didn't want to replace the phone whatsoever, then i got the (used...) replacement BB and a week later doing a BB email app update it bricked, same VZW store rep didn't want to replace it but said he sent the order for another replacement and i have to wait a week for it. such a hassle.

25. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Somehow you missed the fact that Verizon is not this easily outsmarted :)