Is it possible to cancel AT&T contract without paying Early Termination Fee??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by phatjoe, Nov 28, 2012.

1. phatjoe macrumors member

Hello,

I’d like to get an iphone 5, but I’m not eligible for an upgrade until the Fall of 2013. I wanted to end my AT&T contract and sign-up with another carrier. A couple of years ago, I saw video which indicated the steps to end your contract if your monthly rate increased (even by a few pennies).

I was going to give that a shot, but I wanted to know has anyone tried this? Any other recommended approaches? :cool: :D

THANKS!

2. dotme macrumors 6502a

Generally, a contract is a contract. You signed it, you're responsible. If you can find a legal loophole, that's great. But if not, you're going to pay to leave early.

The good news there is that your ETF drops over time. Find out what it is today... then see if the sale on Ebay/Craigslist of you current device covers it. If so, you can walk away without penalty.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You wont be able to get out of your contract without paying the ETF.
    AT&T makes sure to close any loopholes with contracts and they havent given any reasons for anyone to be able to cancell without paying a termination fee.
    Find out how much it is and take it from there.
    Sell your AT&T phone to make up for the fees and switch to whatever carrier you want.

4. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

You could "sell" (i.e. transfer) your contract to someone else. This site below seems to be relatively popular:

http://celltradeusa.com/

I assume there are others but that should give you an idea of an alternative option.

5. Deasnutz macrumors 6502

Where would one go to sell an "unlimited" data usage contract to someone who was interested?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Look one post above yours.