is it possible to charge my Android phone(Galaxy S6 Edge) using MBA 11's USB ports?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by watermelonbook, Apr 7, 2015.

1. watermelonbook macrumors regular

is it possible to charge my Android phone(Galaxy S6 Edge) using MBA 11's USB ports?

Thanks!

2. motrek macrumors 68020

USB charging is a standard so I would say yes.

3. watermelonbook thread starter macrumors regular

How long can the USB port continue to supply power? Or does the MBA cut off power when it goes into sleep mode or something?

I have a MBA 11 and a Google CR-48 Chromebook(free from the beta test program by Google).

The CR-48 Chromebook's USB port supplies power to the phone for charging, even when it's in sleep mode with the screen closed for several hours.

The MBA 11's USB port doesn't seem to be powered at all times... sometimes I plug it in, there's no reaction. But if I open the screen up, it begins to charge again.

Thanks! :)

4. motrek macrumors 68020

The USB ports should always supply power unless the MBA is closed and not plugged into the wall.

In which case, you can just flip it open for a second, it will start to supply power, and then you can close it again and it will continue to supply power... I think indefinitely.

5. NathanA macrumors 6502a

I need to test this, but are you sure that this works for any USB device? For some reason I was under the impression that USB-power-while-sleeping only worked with iPhones.

-- Nathan

6. Dweez, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015

Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I believe this to be false, as I charge my Pono Player and my phone using the an MBA USB port while my MBA is plugged in and sleeping.

[ edit ]

Not sure if it's a differentiator, but I've got a 13" MBA and didn't notice the OP referred to the 11".

[ /edit ]

7. winston1236 macrumors 68000

My experience with all the other Apple hardware is the computer needs to be running (not sleeping/case closed).

I think but I'm not positive that if you set it to never sleep even with lid closed it will continue to charge.

8. motrek macrumors 68020

I admit that I've only tried to charge my iPhone but my MBA definitely charges my phone while sleeping.

If the laptop is plugged in, it will supply power immediately without having to open it to get it started.

If the laptop isn't plugged in, it starts supplying power as soon as I crack the lid open and then continues to supply power after I close the lid.

I've done this many, many times while traveling. It's very convenient to be able to use a laptop battery as an ENORMOUS portable phone charger. :)