Is it Possible to charge your phone by connecting to an Ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by omelet1978, Sep 24, 2015.

1. omelet1978 macrumors member

Hi,

I'm traveling a lot for my job and sit in the back of planes a great deal. I usually connect my phone to my laptop and charge it while I'm traveling. Makes it a lot easier once you get somewhere when your phone is fully charged vs having it die on you halfway through the day.

I have a Galaxy S6 Edge, is it possible to hook that up to the Ipad via some sort of adapter and charge it?

Thanks!

2. Powermax macrumors regular

Nope! There is actually an adapter which transforms the lightning port into a standard USB port. But if a device draws to much power, iOS would disable it.
    Get a portable battery instead.

3. Puonti macrumors 6502a

I believe the iPhone / iPad Lightning port provides less than 100 mA of power, as for example Blue's Yeti USB microphones do not work when plugged in through the USB adaptor (the Yeti requires 150 mA). It's basically enough for keyboards.

4. sparksd macrumors 6502a

Agree on the portable battery. I have a couple of RAVPower batteries that work great with my Apple (Air 2) & Android devices (multiple) and anything else using similar charging techniques (e.g., portable GPS units).

5. omelet1978 thread starter macrumors member

I would pass on the portable battery just bc it's another device to haul around.

Doesn't sound like there is a way to do this unfortunately which sucks bc it's one of the most useful features for me when I'm traveling to charge my phone via my laptop